Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR

EK front split install *pics 56k safe*

So i finally got around to ripping out my door panels and deciding to install my Alpine splits.

Anyways i just thought i'd post a few pics. All i've done so far is remove the door panel, old speakers and installed the tweeter into the plastic bit where the side mirror is.

Got sum questions too... Do all EK's have the plastic bag there? Or has the previous sound installers put it in?

Anybody know wot this bit on the inside of the door panel is???

It's like an open box, bolted on with 3 screws, so i dunno y if it was designed to be part of the door, y it's not a permanent piece???

Also, anybody got pics of their EK front splits install? Preferably custom pods or similar cos my 6 1/2" aint gonna fit, magnet too big!
    Last edited by EK9; 12-11-2004 at 05:44 PM.
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    If you're asking about that plastic covering, it's standard in all cars to protect the electrics. Dont cut it and try and make sure you re-seal it all up. I cut mine to crap when i installed my splits in my old car...but luckily didnt have any electronik problems
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    yea Vinh, the plastic is standard, even on breezes with no electrics :P..

I just drilled and bolted my speakers into the frame of the door... no rattle.. no fus.. =]

btw from the pics ur recaros look all wrong, ill take them off you to solve the problem =]
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    That box thing there behind the trim is for you to stash your W33D Vinh

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by toE
    That box thing there behind the trim is for you to stash your W33D Vinh
    haha! well i ain't got no w33d to stash toe! i'll probly chuck my crossover there.

anyway, i've run into another prob. i just realised that the magnet wont even sit in the speaker hole cos of the plastic backing!!! F@#$!!!

WOT THE HECK SHOULD I DO???

1. I ain't cutting out the plastic on my CTR doors! so don't even suggest it...
    2. sell the darn speakers and get 5 1/2" versions hoping they're smaller??? can't exchange cos i've had them for ages brand new and all and i've opened and messed wif all the parts, stoopid me...
    3. try my skills and build sum pods???

I'm leaning towards 3 atm...
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Get a pair of MDF spaces dude, like at Hiifi supermart, JiBi, Strathfeidl or something for like 8 bucks each, and drill it into the door frame. That should do it

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    well that's wot i was gonna do... til i realised the speakers stick out like 5+cms from the original mounts! so i would hafta get sum fat ass spacers!!! i had the mdf ready and all but now i guess they're gonna be used to build pods! LOL!... ah garr not funny
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    the mdf spacers wont fit on the door.. if u want snug fit, then i suggest you jus cut the door ... i couldnt even fit my 5 1/2 inch splits but then thought f*ck it, so i widened up my hole.. now i got a 6.5" split there.. i put the tweeter where the plastic for the side mirror is... looks professional ... EK9, wanna see the finish product when we go to sorrento..
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    Quote Originally Posted by EK9
    haha! well i ain't got no w33d to stash toe! i'll probly chuck my crossover there.

anyway, i've run into another prob. i just realised that the magnet wont even sit in the speaker hole cos of the plastic backing!!! F@#$!!!

WOT THE HECK SHOULD I DO???

1. I ain't cutting out the plastic on my CTR doors! so don't even suggest it...
    2. sell the darn speakers and get 5 1/2" versions hoping they're smaller??? can't exchange cos i've had them for ages brand new and all and i've opened and messed wif all the parts, stoopid me...
    3. try my skills and build sum pods???

I'm leaning towards 3 atm...
    What you talking bout Vinh? Most west-siders have got w33d!

Remove the plastic backing, and use double spacers dude.

Gd luck. Hope to hear it at the cruise.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by toE
    What you talking bout Vinh? Most west-siders have got w33d!

Remove the plastic backing, and use double spacers dude.

Gd luck. Hope to hear it at the cruise.
    Don't think i have the heart to cut into my doors!!! Well not until i try sum alternatives

Prob do a lil more research then i'll take a stab at making pods... hopefully it'll all be ready by the cruise... if all goes well that is and i get off my ass! Hehehe.
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by J-MuN
    the mdf spacers wont fit on the door.. if u want snug fit, then i suggest you jus cut the door ... i couldnt even fit my 5 1/2 inch splits but then thought f*ck it, so i widened up my hole.. now i got a 6.5" split there.. i put the tweeter where the plastic for the side mirror is... looks professional ... EK9, wanna see the finish product when we go to sorrento..
    nah no cutting atm have u got any pics??? would like to c other ppls installs, especially EKs. i've gotten the tweeter in already in the same spot as urs... my old ones were there, so i just replaced them, kinda. but now i'm stuck wif the woofer prob... oh well i guess i'm driving wif one front speaker for a week
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    huh? I din say cut your doors.

let me get this straight,
    the magnet part of your speaker is larger than the hole?
    or
    it fits, but there's something preventing the speaker to sit flush with the door?