Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    yeah? hehe... for wot car? EK?
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Have you tested the clearances for your feet while driving? Just some suggestions as I am into the DIY car audio thing a bit. Also it appears you got a few ripples there, the reason for this is due to the fabric not being pulled to its maximum elastic limit so not tight enough, just a hint for next time With your fg, it is probably better to use the matting as it makes the entire structure alot stronger, whereas resin on its own has a tendency of being brittle and weak. Also any imperfections should be filled with bog (or even a milkshake which is a mix of bog and resin, its a bit easier to work and cheaper too) and sanded down to the smallest grit paper you can get for the ultimate surface (start with coarse grit and keep getting finer) although from the pics it seems you have sanded it very well already. Congratulations on a very neat and respectable job, I am in no way trying to belittle your project, actually quite the opposite. They look extremely good and when you trim them (I would say black vinyl, or red, to keep the stock theme going?) they will look OEM. Trick is to use a heatgun when applying that vinyl, and dont make the mistake of buying the thick stuff like i did for my kicks, with lots of curves you need the thin stuff! Good luck, and please do post up pics when you have finished. PS. How did you affix the mini pods to the trim? Did you actually screw into the trim?

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    hey Javed, thanks for all the advice... no harm dun i'll try to answer a few of ur questions... i've tested the clearence, they're in already too, so it's all good. only prob is getting in and out, sum ppl mite kick them! yeah i got sum ripples from the first pod i did, but after that it was all good! the second one came out perfect, no ripples... it's a learn as u go thing, hehe. bout the fg and matting, now that i've tested them, i prob will add a few layers to the inside to add strength, cos i dun want them cracking and stuff down the track. i was thinking of filling it with bog, but it doesn't need to be 100% perfect at this stage... i'm happy wif them sanded down. i've read that the primer mite even smooth it out a little more, so even better. how did i attach them? well i used the original speaker mounts! i didn't want to put holes in my door, so they were the best option... an added bonus is that i don't have to remove the door trim to take them off!

btw, u shoulda posted this earlier! hehe... would of helped before i started. oh well, it's all about experience

have u dun any fg work that look like the pros? is it basically the same process, bogged, sanded and painted glossy but very very neatly???
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    I have not finished my kicks completely yet, Do not get me wrong I am still very amateur, however I know people who have done DIY and it looks as good as the pro's. I am completely redoing my kicks and boot during these hols. I am not 100 percent happy with the imaging I am getting from my tweeter angling in the kicks. Basically the more sanding you do, the better it will look. Problem is, we all hate the sanding stage :P As for the primer, if you get a filling primer then yes it will fill it in but only the smallest of imperfections. I used a high build primer and actually found it more of a nuisance. Bogging and sanding to perfection is generally advised. I also found the spray adhesives for trimming weak and not good on the curves on my kicks. Therefore when I redo them I will be using contact adhesive. Contact is extremely strong and I think it will suit my needs. Anyways once again congrats on a nice look. Remember if you plan to paint them you need to have it PERFECTLY smooth, because paint shows up ALL imperfections (trust me on this 1 lol) however if you trim, there is more leniance.

Edit: Oh and btw, Nice car, i love the EK9

I've been doin some fibreglassing work in the EG... my question is, for some reason when i sand it, all the glass fibres come out (in some places) did i not put enough resin on? or push it down deep enough? it only happend with the top layer, the last 3 layers were fine! i kinda was running low on resin, so that may be why, just thought i'd ask if anyone can help, and how to get it smooth if i cant sand it? the jobs almost finished n i dun wanna buy more resin, i might need to use body filler?
    Cheers
    DRCVIC

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Hey guys, i've done a DIY thread here
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13092

Also, i mite be making another set of EK pods soon, was wondering if anyone is interested in me making them a pair too? We can also negotiate on the costs
    PM me or reply here
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

nice DIY man.. and nice setup.... i want your seats and doors!!! actually just give me your car.. hahaha