Thread: Torque steer

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic

Torque steer

Im positive that its torque steer, but just wanna make sure.

I was painting my steelies today, only to find out that the spare tyre steelie was being used on the front left hand corner (different venting pattern to the other 3 on the car). I got the spare tyre from the boot (with steelie that matched the other 3), & popped it on. Long story short, im due for some new rubber, plenty of rubber on the spare tyre. when i throttle her, it wants to steer to the right side. when i back it off, it kinda snaps back. i figure because the right hand tyre is worn & a smaller circumference compared to the left hand tyre with lots of tread, this causes torque steer. thank god im getting some new treads...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Don't run different rolling diameter on the front wheels. It is unsafe. Put the odd tyre on the rear. The front two tyres should be uniform in wear so that it doesn't pull to one side when you accelerate.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC5R
    That's just dangerous. Torque steer is when you actually have torque, start to break traction under acceleration and it tries to peel off to one side under acceleration. Not when you have 1 smaller wheel than the other and the effects of gravity and rotational mass pull the car to the side.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    wait how do u get the torque from duh cibic

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    Quote Originally Posted by TYP32 View Post
    That's just dangerous. Torque steer is when you actually have torque, start to break traction under acceleration and it tries to peel off to one side under acceleration. Not when you have 1 smaller wheel than the other and the effects of gravity and rotational mass pull the car to the side.
    nah, it can happen when your no-where near breaking traction. torque steer is where more energy is stored in one of the driveshafts because they are uneven, and that pulls one wheel around faster then the other.

and gravity and rotational mass dosent effect the pulling at all. its simply because the wheel with the bigger rolling radius goes further in one rotation. nothing to do with gravity and mass...

> torque steer is where more energy is stored in one of the driveshafts

IMHO, if you've got one drive shaft spinning much faster than the other one, torque steer is the least of your problems....

> the wheel with the bigger rolling radius goes further in one rotation

That'd be my pick.

Nick.
    Last edited by nd55; 19-07-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    Quote Originally Posted by nd55 View Post
    > torque steer is where more energy is stored in one of the driveshafts

IMHO, if you've got one drive shaft spinning much faster than the other one, torque steer is the least of your problems....
    its not a big energy difference, but its enough to matter.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by redefine View Post
    its not a big energy difference, but its enough to matter.
    Actually, he is right, it just depends how you look at it. Some people think in a way that energy makes sense, it depends how technical you want to get.

Also, veering to one side has absolutely nothing to do with gravity and mass. Gravity works towards the centre of the earth, not around it. If you have a bigger wheel on one side of the car, of course the car is going to veer in a certain direction.