Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

'09 Type R - A few Q's re: audio + transmission

Howdee folks,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my '99 Mitsubishi Verada in to a smaller, more sporty variety of car. The '09 Type R has made it to my short list however I do have a few concerns that i'd like a bit of advice on;
    *Car Audio flexibility
    I will need to put in an after market head unit, either double or single DIN, I'm not fussed either way, but I'll need to fit one in somehow. I know in some other models that have an integrated style dash, you can buy fascia kits to go around an after market head unit and fill in the rest of the gaps on the dash. It's quite an impressive style on the dash, so i'd like to retain that.
    I've had a bit of a look on the areopro website who have these for other models, but couldn't find one for the latest civic.
    *Manual Transmission
    I know this is a sports car, but i am lazy, and have always driven auto's. I know how to drive a manual, but i wanted to get some opinions on the manual in this model. I'm still yet to test drive (heading in this week) but I'd like to see what current owners think. Is it a fairly smooth transmission? is it heavy clutch? Easy to shift?
    As i've driven auto's all my life, it's going to take a bit to get used to driving manual, how do you manual drivers go with peak hour traffic etc?
    Also, does anyone know of a semi-auto is planned for a later release?
    Finally,
    *Ride Comfort
    For current owners, how does your body feel after a few hours of country driving? I know this isn't the same as a big falcon or alike, and you've got sports seats, which feel fine for a few minutes, but i'm curious as to if you notice some discomfort on long trips?

Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.

the clutch feels like a marshmellow even compared to my euro.
    WP: 1.03.4
    Winton: 1.30.9

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    There's not a you're going to get out of asking about how it's like in peak traffic. All cars will have the same pain-in-the-ass feeling in peak hour traffic.

The only way you'll see how it's like is by actually test driving it - but Honda doesn't like to let you do that...

Member Array
    Car:
    BMW
    the car will NEVER come with a semi auto in a type R.

clutch is feather light.
    im not biased, i just tell it how it is.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    No offence to current gen CTR owners but I just feel that the UK hatch is massively overpriced for the market. Sure it's got a beaut of a high revving engine, but for more practical drivers with a taste for a bit of spirit, there's plenty of other cars in the price bracket which offer more in performance and value for money (e.g. Mazda3 SP25). And even at $40k driveaway (not sure if that price is still valid), it was nudging very close to say, Ralliart Lancer and Golf GTi which both offer dual clutch trannies thus meeting your desire for an auto.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

i cannot understand how people come up with the "cbf with mt in peak-hour excuse". it hasn't bothered me for years.

if it wasn't for mt, i would have probably fallen asleep at the wheel 50 times by now

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    The transmission is really smooth and the clutch is light x.x and the seats are very comfortable in my opinion but may vary due to weight etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    shibiku taipu R
    Car Audio in the stock cars are always not everyone's cup of tea, so whether you choose to leave it as is or put an aftermarket head unit (where there is a fascia that suits it), then by all means it is obviously totally up to you.

Manual and automatic transmission's both have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, with manual, you can't drink and drive without having to change gears in between each sip without struggling and of course driving in peak hour traffic can be a pain with manual.
    But then again, with automatic you can't personally control the power needed for certain conditions while driving such as being stuck in peak hour traffic where you move inch by inch and would tend to use more fuel than a manual.
    But these days with the new trip-tronic style gearboxes, you now have that luxury to do so, so at the end of the day, it really comes down to your own preference.
    With the new CTR, the transmission clutch is light and shifting is good. But I personally feel it may not be as good as the EP3 shift since the EP3 shift is closer to the steering wheel, hence less time in moving from shifting gears to putting your left hand on the wheel. Sorry FN2 drivers, but that's my opinion...LOL

And finally interesting enough, in terms of comfort, Recaro's and the Type-R seats which are pretty much a copy of the Recaro styling and design is meant to comfort people at all extremities when driving. Otherwise, it wouldn't be considered to be placed in the Type-R's or other sports cars like the Evo's.
    Because of its ergonomical design, long drives are a breeze and since I've had Recaro's in my cars, in no way have they made be get sore necks or numb bums. In other words, you won't be disappointed.
    The JDM Type-R's that came with Recaro's came with slightly tighter fitting on the bum than the UK Type-R like this one. You will notice the difference when you sit in both types.
    Why?...well simply because caucasians have a bigger arse than asians, plain and simple.

Hope that helps..

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRyder View Post
    Car Audio in the stock cars are always not everyone's cup of tea, so whether you choose to leave it as is or put an aftermarket head unit (where there is a fascia that suits it), then by all means it is obviously totally up to you.

Manual and automatic transmission's both have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, with manual, you can't drink and drive without having to change gears in between each sip without struggling and of course driving in peak hour traffic can be a pain with manual.
    But then again, with automatic you can't personally control the power needed for certain conditions while driving such as being stuck in peak hour traffic where you move inch by inch and would tend to use more fuel than a manual.
    But these days with the new trip-tronic style gearboxes, you now have that luxury to do so, so at the end of the day, it really comes down to your own preference.
    With the new CTR, the transmission clutch is light and shifting is good. But I personally feel it may not be as good as the EP3 shift since the EP3 shift is closer to the steering wheel, hence less time in moving from shifting gears to putting your left hand on the wheel. Sorry FN2 drivers, but that's my opinion...LOL

And finally interesting enough, in terms of comfort, Recaro's and the Type-R seats which are pretty much a copy of the Recaro styling and design is meant to comfort people at all extremities when driving. Otherwise, it wouldn't be considered to be placed in the Type-R's or other sports cars like the Evo's.
    Because of its ergonomical design, long drives are a breeze and since I've had Recaro's in my cars, in no way have they made be get sore necks or numb bums. In other words, you won't be disappointed.
    The JDM Type-R's that came with Recaro's came with slightly tighter fitting on the bum than the UK Type-R like this one. You will notice the difference when you sit in both types.
    Why?...well simply because caucasians have a bigger arse than asians, plain and simple.

Hope that helps..
    Funniest comment I've ever read
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Toda - 127kW | Wakefield - 1:19.1 | WSID - 15.4

QUALITY K-SERIES AND CL9 EURO PARTS FOR SALE

Member Array
    Car:
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by JaCe View Post
    No offence to current gen CTR owners but I just feel that the UK hatch is massively overpriced for the market. Sure it's got a beaut of a high revving engine, but for more practical drivers with a taste for a bit of spirit, there's plenty of other cars in the price bracket which offer more in performance and value for money (e.g. Mazda3 SP25). And even at $40k driveaway (not sure if that price is still valid), it was nudging very close to say, Ralliart Lancer and Golf GTi which both offer dual clutch trannies thus meeting your desire for an auto.
    no sh!t sherlock!

it comes from the UK.

there is ur price jutification
    im not biased, i just tell it how it is.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Blue & White Mercedes
    Has anyone bought a new 2009 model yet with the LSD? And how much does it go for? Did you get much off with haggling with the dealer?

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    my friend was recently looking at $40k performance car and he has FL FN2R and MY09 WRX on his list.

he went to a local Honda dealer and apparently they have 4 cars in stock but isn't willing to discount much from $45k on road. Also test drive is not available.

my friend left and bought a WRX for $40,500.
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc