Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX

Twin plate clutch something stronger?

Hey all. After about 20,000km my Exedy heavy duty single plate
    I installed is starting to slip slightly on occasion. I would like to get a stronger clutch and was trying to find a twin plate. Anybody know who does one? I have had some people suggest brass button/puck/solid centre clutches and this doesn't bother me from a drivability perspective - I track mainly but I have heard they can break things with the S2000 box? The solid centre clutch in my CRX was fine and they don't take long to adapt too.

My car is NA and soon to run 4.77 FD. Other mods are intake, exhaust and about to run 255x40x17 rear and 225x45x17 front with forged lightweight rims.

I don't clutch dump, I don't drag race and not interested in drifting. It's really just for track. I really don't like doing clutches on these cars took me 6 hours last time so any help/advice is appreciated!

James.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S13
    Exedy do make the carbon twin plate if your interested in sticking with Exedy, they do cost a fair bit but.

S2Krazy Array
    Quote Originally Posted by vyets View Post
    Exedy do make the carbon twin plate if your interested in sticking with Exedy, they do cost a fair bit but.
    Thats the hyper single isn't it?
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    Cost is an issue to a point. I am happy to pay extra for a good twin plate if it means more time between doing the damn clutch in the S!!!

I have swapped one on the ground in my 1G JDM CRX in under an hour. S2000 not so easy LOL!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Hey James

Exedy, ATS&Across, OS Giken, ORC, Carbonetics all do twin plates. There all excellent(expensive) brands and excellent in quality. Some twin plate kits are also push type and do require the conversion kit. However maybe a twin plate is not necessary, As i think the factory load rating on the pressure plate is around the 600kg mark. Not sure what the load rating is on the exedy HD, also not sure if it is an overhauled OEM (most are) pressure plate with a slightly better friction plate.
    But there are a number of single's with high load rating (1000kg+), using a cushion puck could be your answer. I'm currently running a 6puck cushion ACT Kit(came with car). Seems to be fine, it's done 22,000km since i've owned it, it's never slipped.

Running a solid centre will put more strain on your driveline components, I would predict certain failures coming from the rear, before they came from the gearbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSBND View Post
    S2000 not so easy LOL!!!
    stupid starter motor bolts!

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JAP-S2K View Post
    Hey James

Exedy, ATS&Across, OS Giken, ORC, Carbonetics all do twin plates. There all excellent(expensive) brands and excellent in quality. Some twin plate kits are also push type and do require the conversion kit. However maybe a twin plate is not necessary, As i think the factory load rating on the pressure plate is around the 600kg mark. Not sure what the load rating is on the exedy HD, also not sure if it is an overhauled OEM (most are) pressure plate with a slightly better friction plate.
    But there are a number of single's with high load rating (1000kg+), using a cushion puck could be your answer. I'm currently running a 6puck cushion ACT Kit(came with car). Seems to be fine, it's done 22,000km since i've owned it, it's never slipped.

Running a solid centre will put more strain on your driveline components, I would predict certain failures coming from the rear, before they came from the gearbox.
    Good to hear from somebody running a 6 puck cushion. I thought solid centre would be a bit too much. Mine is a full face heavy duty Exedy at the moment - I just want something in there I can leave for a bit!

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JAP-S2K View Post
    stupid starter motor bolts!
    Man they were time consuming - but my god the tailshaft bolts were waaayyyyyyyyyy tight!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    I'll def be doing a similar/same clutch kit when it needs a change. I can't say enough good things about it. The drivability is only a little worse than factory. Have you got a lightened flywheel? This is a good mod to do.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Yeah i rounded one of my tailshaft bolts. F@#ken stupid hex drive. Oh how you just reminded me of all the pain. Yeah i see exactly why your considering twin plate now!

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM s15
    i think the twin plate might be a bit overkill for an s2000. i had an os giken twin plate in my s15 and that had 280rwkw and the clutch held up fine.

20 000kms isnt much mileage for a heavy duty single plate which doesnt see much abuse.
    -S15R-

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeyon View Post
    i think the twin plate might be a bit overkill for an s2000. i had an os giken twin plate in my s15 and that had 280rwkw and the clutch held up fine.

20 000kms isnt much mileage for a heavy duty single plate which doesnt see much abuse.

I believe high rpm/track work seems to bother them a little. I don't clutch dump/drift but I do pull 8-9k on track days for 15-20 laps at a time with many high RPM upshifts and heel toe rev matching downshifts. I am not abusive though, infact the guys at the track days who help coach you from Konica V8's, Porsche Cup etc said I was very smooth and controlled feeding on the power etc.

JAP said the 6 puck so I might look more into this. I just figured twin plate so I can avoid going back to change it any time soon.