wheel stud replacment

I've got a 1997 honda prelude vtir. i bought the car with rims that don't fit, the stud thread on the front 2 wheels are screwed and there isn't enuf thread left to screw the nut on coz its got spacers, so i need to replace the studs to longer ones.

is it possible to replace the front wheel studs yourself? if so how?

i heard the front ones need to be pressed out using a special hub splitter tool. if so, does anyone know a decent place to get it done at a reasonable price...located in WA

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    imo not to sure how much new studs are but it might be a cheaper to get a new hub assembly instead would definately be less time consuming...
    its the ice cream man !

But i need longer after market studs not regular studs coz too short with the spacers in

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Wheel studs are not that expensive. You can buy them at auto parts stores. You have to take the caliper, caliper bracket and brake rotor off. Then hammer the old stud out. Put the new stud on, and tighten a nut and washer (don't use your wheel nuts) until it is pulled through into the hub.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EB2
    as above, but i believe a stud puller is used. also does require some strength and is a real b!atch to remove. not the most enjoyable diy to perform - advisable to get your mechanic to do it, due to tools required - stud pullers arent a common home garage item.

probably the lesser hassle option would be to purchase rims to fit...

goodluck

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thgear View Post
    as above, but i believe a stud puller is used. also does require some strength and is a real b!atch to remove. not the most enjoyable diy to perform - advisable to get your mechanic to do it, due to tools required - stud pullers arent a common home garage item.

probably the lesser hassle option would be to purchase rims to fit...

goodluck
    You just need a nut, a few washers in case the thread doesn't go all the way in and a deep drive socket (maybe a very very deep socket if it is an extended stud). But just do up the nut, and it will pull the stud in on its own.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude, Civic, Firestorm
    Aaron's right mate, just hammer the old ones out and screw the new ones in its not too hard, just takes a good bashing.

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    All i did was hammer out the old stud, pull the new one in via a open ended OEM honda lug nut, and a washer between.. easy!! 10 min job
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    accord
    just bash them out. now good luck finding someone with longer studs... i had the same problem and after ringing a bunch of places all i got was dunnos and whys. you will have to get some performance shop to get them in and only at a premium.