Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: s2k tuning?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda EGK25A
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteAP1 View Post
    Motec is awesome and so is Chasers (they built my engine), but considering your mods, Motec is massive overkill and I doubt you'd be making the most of the unit. Most likely it will no longer be daily driver friendly, but if its a dedicated track car, why not! Ive got quite a long list of mods including engine internals and all i run/need is an apexi neo. I spoke to Paul about a stand alone ECU and he re-affirmed what I thought and explained that the 2-3 thousand spent on a stand alone ecu will not be worth the 3 odd kw that may be squeezed out and it will affect the cars drivability.

End of the day it depends what you want from your car and what ratio of cost vs. benefit you can justify.
    TRUE! Motec is overkill and very expensive.
    - MTA APPRENTICESHIP PLUS - SHIFT PERFORMANCE - +++++++

sorry WhiteAp1 but what I meant to say was that you cannot chip/over-ride the factory ecu with like hondata, chrome or neptune. With hondata you need to replace the whole unit.

In regards to cars not running properly, i don't know much about tuners in melb, but in bris, car's that run Motec/Autronic, most run like they came from factory. When you buy the unit, the base map for your car is pre-loaded into the ecu to it'll drive normal immediately. My mate's evo runs the m800 and it starts and drives the same as when he bought it only faster due to tuning and bigger turbo.

In regards to your comparison of the stock s2k running only 250klms per-tank, i'd recommend he go get an A/F gauge as it seems his motor is running rich.

Back on topic, I'd recommend James @Revzone in Melb to tune as I had him come to bris to tune my turbo dc5. It's runs great on stock internals and does over 400klms per tank (including spirited driving here/there).

Member Array
    Car:
    breeze guess wats inside?
    call up andy from akmotorworks. He,ll be able to help u out.
    BseriesOUS~!~

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    honda-Tech or another Honda specialst behind honda tech cant remember the name of the top of my head.. or check up chasers..

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ypeR View Post
    sorry WhiteAp1 but what I meant to say was that you cannot chip/over-ride the factory ecu with like hondata, chrome or neptune. With hondata you need to replace the whole unit.
    I know what you mean. Only ecu's from 06 and up can be flashed

In regards to cars not running properly, i don't know much about tuners in melb, but in bris, car's that run Motec/Autronic, most run like they came from factory. When you buy the unit, the base map for your car is pre-loaded into the ecu to it'll drive normal immediately. My mate's evo runs the m800 and it starts and drives the same as when he bought it only faster due to tuning and bigger turbo.
    I agree, but I dont exactly mean the car wont run properly im saying depending on the ecu you may loose things like the imobiliser, guages and even sensors or have to replace them, not to mention poor fuel consumption. Considering the small gains and the high price, IMO I dont think this is worth it.

In regards to your comparison of the stock s2k running only 250klms per-tank, i'd recommend he go get an A/F gauge as it seems his motor is running rich.
    Sorry I musn't have expressed myself clearly. The s2000 with the M800 only gets 250 per tank with 150 atw. I have a very cheap and simple piggy back ecu getting 153 atw and get 450 per tank on average. Again my point is an expensive and highly functional ecu may not be the best option. If the OP is after power, go FI or be humble with the limits of NA tunning. Which ever your choice be wise with you spending. Expensive doesnt automatically mean big gains.
    Last edited by WhiteAP1; 28-07-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    red ap1
    digging up an old thread~

anyways does anyone here run the basic mods (intake/headers/catback) on stock ecu?(no piggybacks!)
    if so, would u mind telling me how much km/tank of fuel ur getting?

i used to run just the injen intake and that got me about 440km/tank.
    changed that for j's intake and a catback, and getting 390km/tank.
    thinking about going aftermarket headers and by the looks of things, i will be getting less than 390km!

if i wanted to get a tune on a/fr to improve my milage with the basic mods, would a vafcII do the job?
    any suggestions of other piggybacks? or should i just leave it as it is with stock ecu?

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S13
    I ran a J's intake with TP and Exhaust and got pretty much the same fuel about 420ish - 440 a tank with average driving and afew WOT's.
    FYS

My fake shit rocks!
    Winton 1:35.4
    Wakefield 1:07.87

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    To answer your question in short! Yes a vafc, piggyback could/will improve your mileage, but at what cost? and is it worth it? That depends who tunes it. A deadshit will more than likely lean it out too much, and you'll see an increase in power with decent mileage, but this will more than likely result in some type of mech failure such as a burnt valve. Tuning it properly is very important. With someone that understands Honda's, there fuel maps and there high revving nature, only a very slight improvement is possible. IMHO it's probably best not to toy with ecu settings while your still with basic bolt on mods. It is possible to trim some fuel out to get better consumption as i mentioned as the factory fuel map/a/f ratio are quite rich. By why change it? Honda did this for a specific reason. As a rich fuel map is generally regarded as a safe tune. So many are eager to attempt or find something Honda didn't, regarding ECU/Fuel maps, unfortunately in this circumstance little or no fessible gains are to be had. If there was gains to be had, you'd find plenty of info on what to do.
    CHEAP--FAST--RELIABLE = PICK ANY TWO

Using e-manage ultimate I got 11kw over stock with I/H/HFC/E and i got 40km more out of my tank. but this tuner leaned it out and was great on WOT but not so good daily, so got it re-tuned for more daily friendly driving which was much better and the car felt much smoother.

with the mods you have i'd recommend emanage ultimate or blue.

Member Array
    Car:
    red ap1
    i should of added that this is my daily.
    i drive at least 350-400km, so a fresh tank of petrol every week.
    so im not looking for more peak power gains, more reliability on fuel consumption although any gains is a bonus =D

Member Array
    Car:
    red ap1
    Quote Originally Posted by vyets View Post
    I ran a J's intake with TP and Exhaust and got pretty much the same fuel about 420ish - 440 a tank with average driving and afew WOT's.
    u running intake/TP/exhaust atm on stock ecu? and ur getting 420!? i want 400+! lol

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by lzybum View Post
    u running intake/TP/exhaust atm on stock ecu? and ur getting 420!? i want 400+! lol
    Maybe look into getting your injectors serviced/changed. Something is causing your poor mileage, either poor maintenance or dirty injectors. Generally basic bolt on mods only effect fuel consumption due to more of a heavier right foot.
    CHEAP--FAST--RELIABLE = PICK ANY TWO