Whine from engine bay w/ pics - pls help!

Hi All,

Read this forum and think its great.

I have a '95 Integra VTi-R w/ 125000kms - anyway, recently I've noticed a distinct high-pitched 'whine' coming from the engine bay. If I go on a short trip I'll notice it soon after I start - and interestingly, it continues for a few seconds after switching the engine off. It seems to disappear on a longer drive (i.e. 40+ mins).

I stuck my head into the engine bay and cut the bottom out of a bottle to hone in on the noise.... it seems to be coming from a particular area (pls see pics).

Would anyone have any possible ideas as to what it might be?

Initially I thought something to do with the intake manifold as the noise continued after switching the engine off... tho you can see the throttle body etc is away from the area of the noise. Could it be something to do with the fuel lines? (in that area). The other thing I noticed is that if the noise starts to get quite soft/go away, if I rev the engine a bit it comes back and can again be heard.

Interested to hear people's thoughts - thanks heaps!

Cheers
    Andrew

you loosing any coolant?

Could be a very tiny leak (pin hole) from a heater hose or something.

thanks Jason, but no I don't seem to be - just checked and its still exactly at the maximum in the overflow bottle.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    pushbike & pair of nikes
    Anything might of been loosen by anychance?

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    When it happens, press in the clutch pedal. If the noise gone, I think the input shaft bearing (or other bearing in the gearbox) is rooted.
    Happen to mine too when it's cold.
    More info:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2610714

thanks twing but seems fine when i put the clutch in.. noise is still there.

It seems to be linked to the accelerator... in the sense that if the noise starts to go away, if I rev the engine a bit it definitely comes back to the original volume (which isnt super loud but its always there). Thats why I thought maybe something with the fuel lines coming into that area?? (fuel pressure regulator is there etc).

Appreciate anyones input - thanks!