Member Array
    Car:
    EK1,4,9

15x8 max tyre size for Ek (recomendations)

hey guys, planning to buy some 6ul (949 racing) wheels for my ek. Just wondering what max tyre size i can fit in regards to width and height id be able to put on front and rear. Ive seen 225's on the rear of an eg with these wheels, but just wondering if it would be any different for ek?

wheel size:
    15x8
    +36

Possibly looking at a 45 or 50 on the profile, but i dont want to much tyre flex just incase it scrubs. Any information would be great! different front and rear combo's would be okay aswell e.g. 215on front 225 on rear

P.S. And yes ive already used search!
    HORSEPOWER is how hard you hit the wall.
    TORQUE is how far you go through it!

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    hit up a tyre calculator to figure out what size/profile you'd like to run
    at a guess for ek, i'd use 225/45/15

dunno how many street tyres come in that size though
    8" is fairly wide even for ek's
    bare minimum is rolling guards and apparently even then it'd be near the upper control arm and trailing arm
    theres a discussion about it here on honda tech with some pics
    might need a spacer at the rear to make it fit nicely

as for staggered tyre widths being a fwd you'd want the wider ones at the front usually
    i remember a while back someone ran a staggered rim width setup and had the wider rim at the rear and complained about chronic understeer
    if you're doing it only for looks it'd probably be fine though

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1,4,9
    thanks for the honda tech link. i think ill run 225/45 then, should be able to clear easy as im not running my car too low yet (king super lows). i found it interesting how some tyre brands quote the same size but when put side by side some were different height and different overall width.

i guess my question now is does anyone have any tyre recommendations? i dont think ill go for adrenalins, i find that they have alot of tyre flex and theyre not all the rave about that everyone puts them out to be.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    what's your price range?
    real question is where can you really find 225/45/15 tyres

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1,4,9
    im just looking now. i cant seem to find any.. found 225/50.... im gona check em out and see if people reckon they have alot of tyre flex in them... that american brand AVON? i doubt anyone stocks them in Aus but ill look into it.

no budget really, safety always comes first, aslong as its reasonable

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    even 205/50r15 is fine on 8" wide. 215/45r15 can be another option which toyo t1r offers.
    mugen無限power

225/45 on 8in +36 is what you are after, but its a very american size. Pain in the ass to get here. You are probably best off ordering through tirerack in america and getting them shipped over. Will most likely end up cheaper than sourcing them locally. Still requires guard work, but not that difficult to fit.

225/50 is doable and easier to source locally, just have to have a heavy roll front and rear and trim the rear bumper and modify the attachment of the rear bumper to the quarter panel (move it towards the rear). You get issues with the height of the 50 sidewall on little cars. More camber will help them fit.

As above, you are probably better off getting a stickier 205/50 such as advan ad07/ad08, kumho ku36, toyo r1r, bridgestone re11 etc. They will grip far better than a 225 wide 'normal street' tire for a similar price or even a bit more expensive. Fitment with 205/50 on 8in +36 is a breeze too.

But hey, if you are willing to fork out, get 225/45 or 225/50.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    thats alot of girth for an EK...
    why the need for so much rubber?
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1,4,9
    thanks for the info guys, i might go for 215/45 instead, sourcing the rubber is just simply too hard and or too expensive. Ive read some other forums and found that the toyo T1r may be a little bigger than some 225/45 tyres in the states. duno how that works, but measurments prove otherwise.

anyway back to the drawing board, cheers

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    205/50/15 would be my choice. It'll handle better also.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    205/50/15 would be my choice. It'll handle better also.
    isnt that stock VTi-R size..? perfect!