Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 EK Civic

Improving stock headlights

Can anyone offer any tips to improving the headlights? I'm thinking:

A) Polish the shell of the headlights (Theres a DIY on here for that)
    B) Replacing the bulbs with brighter/white bulbs (Which ones are best?)

Any other recommendations?

i've done both of the above and it still doesn't compare to my 2003 barina sri.

I really think you need to look into the wattage of the entire system or the source of where you get the power for the lights. They definately don't cut it in comparison to newer cars thats for sure.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 EK Civic
    Did you end up finding a way to improve it? I'm pretty noob with this so figured just replacing the bulb would make them better

Member Array
    the easiest u can do is buy HID's
    it will be brighter and give u greater distance in vision but imo the eg lights design and projection, regardless whjat u use with the stock light housing will suck

go hids, best possible reasonable solution witrhout being outragous

> A) Polish the shell of the headlights

The effect is short lived, unfortunately.
    Needs constant attention with brasso to look good.

> B) Replacing the bulbs with brighter/white bulbs

The Honda wiring harness to the lamps isn't the best, so the effect isn't as good as it might be.

A new headlight housing with some attention paid to the wiring and you're good to go.

Nick.

I think the wattage of the bulbs is a problem as well. The h7's in my newer model car are alot brighter and the wiring is more substantial.

I'm sure if you upgraded the wiring, and were able to conver to h7 bulbs, then you'd be in business.

or as said, get HID's.

Are HID's even legal to change to if you didn't have them as stock/option?

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    I think the wattage of the bulbs is a problem as well. The h7's in my newer model car are alot brighter and the wiring is more substantial.

I'm sure if you upgraded the wiring, and were able to conver to h7 bulbs, then you'd be in business.

or as said, get HID's.

Are HID's even legal to change to if you didn't have them as stock/option?
    who cares if there legal or not there still sik only thing stopping us is the $150 +installation lol for us poor ppl out there

i care about legalities. lol

and they're not hard to install anyway. Theres even plug and play units for sale to make it easy for the not so confident DIY'rs

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    just get 6000/7000k bulbs

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    i care about legalities. lol

and they're not hard to install anyway. Theres even plug and play units for sale to make it easy for the not so confident DIY'rs
    hahaha fair enough but i rkn they would be legal if newer cars can have them im assuming we would be able 2 also and cops wouldnt know the difference i had 1 cop once when i was in my mechanics r32 gtr pull us over and take pics of the BOV cause he didnt know what it was lol

iv had bad experience with DIY electricals lol last time i attempted it i blew my main headlight fuse lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ninzee View Post
    hahaha fair enough but i rkn they would be legal if newer cars can have them im assuming we would be able 2 also and cops wouldnt know the difference i had 1 cop once when i was in my mechanics r32 gtr pull us over and take pics of the BOV cause he didnt know what it was lol

iv had bad experience with DIY electricals lol last time i attempted it i blew my main headlight fuse lol
    HID's are illegal on all cars that did not come with them standard, and cars need an autowashing + autolevelling system for them to be remotely legal.

I would just get some Phillips Extreme +80% lightbulbs from Autobarn, they're direct replacement bulbs but they're extremely bright

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1999 EM1
    HID easiest bet