Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda

Bolt-on Turbo kit Pro's & Con's?

I've a stock B16A2 in my EM1 civic vtir coupe.

Does a bolt-on turbo kit from avoturbo (an example) literally just bolt-on to the stock engine?
    Can this run without any internal modifications to the engine whatsoever?
    I'd need a new ECU or piggy-back version and tune to finish it off, right?
    Would this modification be worthwhile vs NA modifications?
    What are the pro's and con's in going turbo from an NA car?

For an equal amount of money going turbo, would you be able to make this car go equally fast keeping it NA? I guess this is what I really want to know.

Your comments/advise would be appreciated.

No way would say $10g NA mods equate to the same power of a $10g turbo setup. Turbo is much more cost effective. That said, a kit from the US which is popular will have problems fitting to an AUDM car. The engine bays ARE different.

I don't know of any turbo kit which comes with good fuel management so YES to an aftermarket ECU. As far as boost level, depends on the quality of the setup plus the quality of your engine but you can run say 8psi on stock engines with good fuel setup

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by shecomb
    That said, a kit from the US which is popular will have problems fitting to an AUDM car. The engine bays ARE different.
    So that means cause his VTiR is US built, they would fit perfect, yes
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    So that means cause his VTiR is US built, they would fit perfect, yes
    Only if his car is left hand drive. The air con and steering components are slightly different between left and right hand drives so a kit that keeps a/c from the US wont necessarily keep a/c on a AUDM car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK (sold!)
    Cost wise, turbo will always out weigh N/A mods.

To ensure your engine survives the compressed air (especially on the B16) you will definitely need an upgraded fuel system with a programmable ECU to control it. But in the end, it is more cost effective for the amount of power that can be achieved.

I'd say go turbo!

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    if u bought a bolt on turbo kit from avo, then yes it will literally botl on. kit sells for about 4500. inc. manifold,turbo,pipin, cooler, extra injector and piggyback ecu. once u've nistalled it, get some pro to tune ya car. 8psi max and u wont need to change internals. if ur scared about turbo + high compression = detonation, then just get some 2mm head gaskets. that should lower ya compresioon

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Hey Guys & Gals,
    I am pretty new here. I think all your questions are pretty much answered. I would just like to give you my experience with the Avo kits. I have a Gen 3 Crx and I have an Avo Stage II Turbo kit bolted on my B16A2. The kit is the same for the civic with slight mods to the intercooler mounts. The stage II kit is bolt straight on with no internal mods done to your motor. The kit comes with GT28R 320hp Garret B Bearing Turbo, decent size bar & plate FMIC, exhaust manifold, 2.5" stainless dump pipe to cat, 500cc injectors, 600hp fuel pump, rubber & mild steel piping, stand alone Link Ecu. It includes all other accesories clamps, bolts etc. Avo promise 135-145kw @ Wheels with 9psi boost with a good tuner (you exhaust system has to be upgraded).
    Depends what you are after. If you are happy with that power then Id say go for it. I was told the turbo is good for 15psi?? A lot of people rubish the Link Ecu, but I can say 1st hand that I have not had any problems.
    Hope this all helps. Would be good to meet all you guys sometime.
    Last edited by DLO01; 28-01-2005 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Stage II kit turbo is not a T25 its a GT28R rated at 320hp
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda
    fantastic! thanks everybody for your feedback (especially weq, who's cast some light into the myths of boosting). if there's any more input you'd like to add, i'd appreciate it. thanks again fellas!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    whats NA?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepo
    whats NA?
    NA = Normally Aspirated, ie not FI = Forced Induction
    Deano.

Member Array