Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array

optimal warm up time

how long should i warm my car up for in that morning before i set off (ek with b18c7 dont no if it matters or not) ATM i leave it for about 2mins.
    yezzur!

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Turn on, make sure you have oil pressue, then go. No need to sit and warm up. Just make sure you drive 'normally' till the car has warmed up completly (10mins or so)
    Deano.

start and go pretty much.... i have friends that let it idle for 5min =/ waste of petrol in my eyes

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    yeh wastes petrol on cold starts,
    start and go and normally i keep my revs under 2-2.5 for say the first 10mins sometimes i give a little more say 3.
    Once warm im up to 6-7k
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    i let my turbo civic warm up for like 3-4mins when thats cold, it drives like a pig if i dont... but my daily (09 Getz) about 30seconds to a minute...
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    you dont need to sit there for longer than about 30 seconds. by then you will well and truly have oil pressure.

dont over rev, and dont be too hard on throttle until temp reaches normal level

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9 Lux
    agree. just dont go making yoru engine work hard form the get go.
    i personally let it idle for 30sec-1minute, then drive gently (2-3k revs) till engine has warmed up then if i need to push it a little i do.
    just personal preference.
    Last edited by mattchuej8; 07-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    8===D

Member Array
    Car:
    murcielago
    5min wait for me, and drive like a granny for another 5mins or till temperature reaches warm.
    EG5 Powered by DR HONDA
    Tune By: Scott @ Insight Motorsport

QSR Customs

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Extended idleing is bad for fuel consumption. 30sec-1min for me on cold mornings as my car doesn't like to idle for the first minute or so if I take off earlier. IACV is clean and no vacuum leaks either

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    D: Mazda
    I read somewhere that letting it just sit there doesnt warm up your gearbox, so it's better to drive it gently. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by BURST View Post
    I read somewhere that letting it just sit there doesnt warm up your gearbox, so it's better to drive it gently. Is this true?
    Yes, though keep in mind that the gearbox isn't as sensitive as the engine to being properly warmed up.

This isn't to suggest that it's OK to 'fang it' as soon as the temp guage nears / reaches 'normal'. It's not a good idea to drive the car hard (or more than fairly gently) as soon as the coolant is up to temp because the oil temp lags behind coolant temp. It's best to give it a few more minutes to make sure everything is thoroughly warmed up. Cold oil doesn't lubricate as well as warmed up oil.

It's not a good idea to leave the engine idling for any extended period because oil spray onto the bore walls ('flinging' off the crank from the big end bearings) at idle speeds is not great, and the pistons may be running with less oil than is ideal. This is especially the case when the oil is cold and thus thicker than at operating temperature...

Newcomer Array
    interesting, next time i start her up cold i leave for a minute and set off and drive gently
    yezzur!