Thread: Team PIARC 3rd

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra

Team PIARC 3rd

Just like to say that team PIARC managed by myself came 3rd in the 6 hour relay race at Phillip Island on the weekend. Came so close to a win. Great consistant driving by the four drivers.
    Dont forget guys, we have a PIARC club sprint this weekend. I will be there and so to will some of the team piarc drivers giving advice for the day.

Gary

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    6hrs,relay race,Noice!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Six hours?

Yeah, I did about three or four of those Six Hour Relays at Eastern Creek in the late 90s. Great fun, lots of track time (especially when one or more of the other cars breaks down), and a fantastic social event. Was it the two days like it was up here?

The greatest event I did (our team featured on Speedweek, including a part where the commentary was explaining changing of the sash, and they used our sash change with me in the car coming in) was the one year when the competitors broke the record for the greatest number of cars entered in a single event. They took an aerial photo at the start finish line of everyone lined up, all the way up the main straight. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Hope you enjoyed the weekend, and congratulations on your 3rd place.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Sounds awesone. Congrats on teh 3rd Finish.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

AROCA 6 Hour

OK. Hope this doesn't qualify as thread hijacking but I searched through my CDs of motorsport photos and found the 1999 AROCA 6 Hour full grid at Eastern Creek. A photo was taken from a specially-hired helicopter for the Guiness Book of Records for the Most Number of Competitors in a single event record. That was a massive year and since then the numbers have slowly dwindled down to almost nothing. What a shame as it was (is) such a great event! It rained almost every year we entered, always at about 3:00pm with an hour to go. One year it was so bad you couldn't see the car in front of you going down the main straight. I think they introduced rain lights the following year.

The first photo is our team (taken from the roof): Graham (white Fiat 131), Brad (Yellow/Red Celica), Derek (Red RX2) and me (Orange Datsun 1600) - all sports sedans:

The second photo is the full grid (and even then I think there were a few cars missing as this photo was taken Saturday morning and some cars had mechanical failures in Friday practice.)

I hope you enjoyed this little bit of nostalgia - it was a great time to be club racing in NSW. Not as serious as it is now and always big fields.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 12-08-2009 at 02:13 PM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Pitchures say a thousand words and those pics certainly do!!

Thanks for sharing,Awesome.