Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 CRV Sport

2000 CRV, infant capsule, Roof Anchor Points

I am looking to install a rear facing infant capsule on my 2000 CRV Sport.

It is possible to have a center roof anchor point on this CRV model.
    The user manual mentions the 2 side anchor points where you just pop out the little plastic cap and screw in the anchor. but there is no mention of a center anchor point.

But I see there is another plastic cap in the center just behind the sun roof.
    I cannot pop this out easily and wondering if this can be used as an anchor point or if it serves some other function. (the manual sun roof open/close is in front of the sun roof)

Also the rear side belts do not have the locking function. If I have to put the capsule to one side then how do I lock the seat belts.

Thanks for your help.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    A search on the forums turned up this thread on a first gen CRV.
    Basically, the older CRVs only have anchor points for the side seats but none in the center (roof or behind the passenger seat in the cargo area). The latest generation CRV (from 2007 onwards) has three anchor points - one for each seating position.

From the other thread, it seems that they only supply one anchor point (left side) and the right side is covered by a plastic cap and you can screw in the anchor. This is usually supplied with the purchase of a new car seat (Safe N Sound usually has this kit supplied) or you can buy it as a kit for about $20 from any store that sells baby accessories (eg. Baby Kingdom, Bubs and More, Baby's Galore etc)

All baby capsules must be rear facing. Baby seats which are designed from birth to 18kg will have the seat initally facing backwards and reclined so they are almost lying down. Additionally, there is a safety bar that needs to be extended. Once the baby is old enough to sit up properly, then the seat faces forward.

Capsules typically would last from birth to 6mths (or 9kgs) and rear facing baby seats can be as long as possible. The latest advice from child safety experts is to keep them rear facing for up to 12 months ... but most babies like to see what mummy and daddy are about to hit when they distract them by throwing up....

The plastic cap in the middle of the roof behind the sunroof doesn't sound like an anchor point - seems too far forward to hold a capsule/baby seat (the other thread shows a small plastic cap which is about 1cm diameter. A proper anchor cap would be about 2-3 cm wide).

As for locking the seat belts, not sure what you mean. All you need to do is to thread it through the seat/capsule and pull back to ensure it is reasonably taut (and without any slack). The pretensioner will lock the belt so it won't feed out if the seat belt encounters a jarring force (ie. pulling it out really quickly)

The only other piece of useful advice is if the baby is seated next to the door, then put the child safety lock on so the bubs doesn't accidentally open the door when they get curious and start tugging on that door release lever!
    Last edited by yorrick; 19-08-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 CRV Sport
    Thanks for the detailed information,

Missed that other thread in my search earlier.

By 'locking the seat belts' I meant where you pull the seat belt all the way out before securing it. When you do this it does not allow the seat belt to be extended again until it is fed all the way back in. I think all new vehicles have this but my model does not.

I will be using the Safe n Sound Baby Safety Capsule and will need to buy an anchor. My CRV does not have any attached. The anchors are $20 at Honda and $11 at Repco so easy done.

I was really hoping to have the capsule fitted in the center but given the limitations I think I may get the capsule professionally installed to make sure the seat belt part is done correctly.

Will post here with details when done.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    Perhaps it's me, but I found that fitting the baby seat and capsule was fairly easy ... after RTFM (Read The F'n Manual).

It usually costs about $30 for it to be installed at the shops that sell baby stuff (prams, cots, baby seats etc) or you can ask one of the staff to review it since they see enough baby seats and capsules (especially Safe N Sound ones).

Funniest incident which I saw a baby capsule being fitted to a car was several years ago at Babys Galore. A BMW 2 door convertible was having a capsule fitted. The anchor points was on the back of the seat in the boot. Problem was getting the tie lines from the capsule through with the drop top.
    I went back to the store a couple of hours later (having to return an incorrect purchase) and the car was still there, the roof was half open (or closed) and the couldn't get the roof to close (or open) properly. I heard one fellow talking to some BMW techs to organise them to come out urgently on a Saturday arvo.
    Perhaps a BMW 2 door convertible is not too compatible with the lifestyle of a baby capsule?