Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2014 NSX

windscreen chips

i went to get roadworthy for my car and the mechanic said my whole windscreen had to be replaced ? why
    theres un-noticable little chip, even o'brien can't seal it because its realy that small probably about 1 mm big.
    and for that i gotta get the whole windscreen replaced .
    is it a good idea to get it fixed or go to a diffrent less fussy mechanic for road worthy.

From what i haerd when i had my car windows cracked, they say the crack could expand to larger crack due to the weakness of the windscreen.

I guess you should repair, better to be safe than sorry.
    yeh you could try another mechanic.

his a link you might want to read:
    http://www.vacc.com.au/ConsumerInfo/...1/Default.aspx
    Last edited by anfo2gig; 20-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2014 NSX
    yeah but i went to o'brien and they said that the chip isn't deep enough to crack :S

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    According to O'Briens, If a windscreen chip is in the drivers line of vision, it only has to be bigger than 15mm for your windscreen to fail its registration check.

So this guy might be after some extra $$ if he is recommending you to repair it at his place.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

try another mechanic

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    stop asking mechanics for things out of their field of expertise. you can get o'brien glass to give you an obligation free quote.

are you guessing/assuming that o'brien can't fix it because "it's so small" because they can fix and plug any hole under a 5mm diameter. you can use these gel kit's which they use (it's like $50 a chip for them to do it). i on the other hand bought the gel kit myself and did it to all my cars... costs $30 for the gel fill kit.

assuming theres no dirt in the crack i've managed to make all my cracks/chips disappear
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    2014 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    stop asking mechanics for things out of their field of expertise. you can get o'brien glass to give you an obligation free quote.

are you guessing/assuming that o'brien can't fix it because "it's so small" because they can fix and plug any hole under a 5mm diameter. you can use these gel kit's which they use (it's like $50 a chip for them to do it). i on the other hand bought the gel kit myself and did it to all my cars... costs $30 for the gel fill kit.

assuming theres no dirt in the crack i've managed to make all my cracks/chips disappear
    i wasn't assuming o'brien couldn't fix it, they told me them selves.
    went to the shop and everything.
    who said fixing windscreens is out of the mechanics fields ?!

but even if you fix the screen, wouldn't the cracks still be noticable

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^^^not really... what the gel does is pushes the air out of the cracks and hardens like a sealant

what windscreen o'brien normally do on chips is they drill out the chip as long as it doesn't exceed the 5mm and fill it with a hardening gel.

the whole process is seamless.

i use something similar to this... can be purchased from repco for $30. Bought mine at the motorshow last year at 2 for 1
    http://www.ufixit.xrwh.com/
    Last edited by dsp26; 20-08-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    My bro's lexus has a very noticeable sized chip and he has passed rego 2 years in a row and not at a dodgy place either

as stated, the guy is probably after some extra $$, go get your inspection somewhere else.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    ^^^^not really... what the gel does is pushes the air out of the cracks and hardens like a sealant

what windscreen o'brien normally do on chips is they drill out the chip as long as it doesn't exceed the 5mm and fill it with a hardening gel.

the whole process is seamless.

i use something similar to this... can be purchased from repco for $30. Bought mine at the motorshow last year at 2 for 1
    http://www.ufixit.xrwh.com/
    He meant that the mechanic is not passing his roadworthy/blue slip just because of a 1mm chip on his windscreen, which is not what O'Briens say. You should pass roadworthy as long as the chip is below 15mm in size.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^^yep thats true AND less than 3 chips in total according to the windscreen VSI

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    There is a difference between a chip and a crack. My windscreen had two little chips that the guy described as " sand blasts". I was told these chips should not get any bigger than what they are now and that they are not repairable. On the otherhand a crack will get bigger eventually however a crack is usually repairable.