Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on 2nd hand s2k

Ok, I'm planning to buy a second hand car, preferably an s2k...need some help...Are there anything in particular to look for in an s2k when buying used...

And also does anyone know whether the price depreciate heaps if you end up selling it after a year...cause i'm probably going to buy it for around 45k and wondering if i could sell it at around 42k after about a year...

i've found some cars which have low milege and aren't that old...wat could be wrong with these cars?

Thanks heaps for your help!!

ps. about insurance...i'm 18...how much would insurance be?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1, BB6, AP1
    Your insurance cost (if anyone will actually insure you) will be just as much as the depreciation costs.. You will look alot of money buying a car for one year and then selling it. Why dont you you just buy a run about and save for whatever car you had in mind.

I'd guess your insurance would be around $9k if u tried to go with NRMA

Hey Eurosip, have a look at my thread that I posted not so long ago. May help you with a few things u need to know.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...929#post113929

And I'm guessing it will depreciate more than you expect. Redbook is always a good guide.
    ANyways hope my thread helps ya out.
    happy searching..

Quote Originally Posted by vtc
    Your insurance cost (if anyone will actually insure you) will be just as much as the depreciation costs.. You will look alot of money buying a car for one year and then selling it. Why dont you you just buy a run about and save for whatever car you had in mind.

I don't have many cars in mind...it's just that i will probably want to and will change cars after a yr of the s2k...not because i'm trying to save up...My delima is...should i buy a worn out s2k instead if i'm gonna sell it after a yr of thrashing anyway? or should i settle for something a little more better condition...

Furthermore...i'm thinking about whether to get a zed instead...i prefer hardtops more...but having a chance to drive a convertible sounds interesting too...

I understand that insurance is gonna be expensive, although i would assume it will be under my parents names and i would just be an unlisted driver ^^

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    insurance under your parents name for your car is just asking for trouble.
    Intentionally Left Blank

Insurance ain't that bad, if you have a clean record. A s2k isn't affordable for most, so drivers that can afford are usually olders driver and if a car doesn't get involved in accident it's generally cheaper. Try RACV or Just Cars, they gave pretty good quotes 2090 and 3500.

Quote Originally Posted by e_s2k
    Insurance ain't that bad, if you have a clean record. A s2k isn't affordable for most, so drivers that can afford are usually olders driver and if a car doesn't get involved in accident it's generally cheaper. Try RACV or Just Cars, they gave pretty good quotes 2090 and 3500.
    For an 18 year old? Dayam! Not bad...

Sorry my bad, i didn't see that bit, but quote was for 21 year old Rating 5 or 4..
    I thought insurance would be crazy too, until i called up.
    Hope that give u a guage on how much you might be looking at.
    But as Micka already said, it's trouble .....having under parent's name and you unlisted.

But i have heard of ppl getting away with it, saying their parents were driving it, but then again i have heard some ppl get shafted with no pay out.
    So be careful, if you can afford a car like that, you should be able to afford the insurance.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1, BB6, AP1
    Yes this is fine and dandy if your run into a pole.. IF you run into a car... the other person is gonna take YOUR records and well then kiss goodbyeto your car as well as forking out your own money to fix the other.. It really aint worth doing it if you cant afford insurance

If you want to play.. you have to pay.
    Just what i think.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroSip
    And also does anyone know whether the price depreciate heaps if you end up selling it after a year...cause i'm probably going to buy it for around 45k and wondering if i could sell it at around 42k after about a year...
    Buying a car for 45k and then trying to sell it a year later for 42k is at best a gamble. You may easily find yourself in the 30-40k range a year later. It is probably not a great idea to buy a car intending to only keep it for 1 year - unless you don't mind the ultimate cost of just having the car for 1 year being something extraordinary (eg $5000+). Then factor in running costs and insurance and it is an expensive year - if you know what I mean. If you need finance add that to the bill..

Depends how much cash you have to throw around.
    Last edited by yfin; 13-11-2004 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks for the advice guys... ^^

About being unlisted...insurance said something about being able to drive it once a month...is that a fact or just pure bs?

I can understand taht if i could afford it, i should also buy the insurance...but just trying to find holes in the system to reduce costs that's all...I still need to make sure i'm covered...like apparently, if i'm unlisted and crash...i need to pay 2500 excess...compared to 800 excess

You gotta admit though...the insurance costs for young drivers are waay too much in aust