Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz vti Auto 05

AMP install question! VIC

I have a 4 channel AMP installed and wired in the car. Using Aerpro bassix 8 gauge power cable. Are the cable anygood?
    I want to add another 4 channel kicker (KX600.4) amp and for a 10 to 12 inch jL sub. I was told to use a 2 ways distribution block. But here a problem the sale told me the 8ga wire will not suppport 2 amp. He say the wire might melt. Anyone tried before? I dont want to rewire it. If that is a must! how much would cost? I don't wanna spend too much. I live Melbourne.

By the way i am using a honda battery.

Have any have an opinion?

Cheers.
    Last edited by tsxl; 24-08-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    use a lower guage cable.

4ga.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    how much power are the amps and how much current are you drawing??

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz vti Auto 05
    Quote Originally Posted by redefine View Post
    I have 4 channel 600watts and i am adding a

kicker AMP

•2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
    •Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
    •75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
    •150 watts x 4 at 2 ohms
    •300 watts x 2 in bridged mode
    •speaker- and preamp-level inputs
    •front and rear high-pass/low-pass crossovers (variable 50-200 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
    •front/rear bass boost (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
    •remote gain control with 25-foot cable
    •frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
    •requires 4-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
    •unregulated Class A/B power supply offers a massive increase in power at 2 ohms
    •22-9/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 10-1/4"D

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz vti Auto 05
    I am only using this amp for a 10 or 12 inch sub. I think i will be getting JL Audio..

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    Quote Originally Posted by tsxl View Post
    I am only using this amp for a 10 or 12 inch sub. I think i will be getting JL Audio..
    use a lower guage cable.

4ga.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    well those specs say that amp needs 4ga wire anyway, so it might be an idea to run a separate power cable, or at least upgrade your existing wire.

what happens when you use smaller wire is you actually have more losses in the wire because of the larger resistance of a smaller wire. those losses cause the wire to heat up and eventually melt. using a larger wire can both dissipate the heat better AND heat up less for the same current draw. hence why you need to use a lower guage (thicker wire) for higher powered amps.

but you do need to put new wiring in. the cables that you already have wont be bad. they will do the job well for your other amp. but you will need to upgrade the power wire for the other amp. any wire should do fine, as long as its installed properly. OFC (oxygen free copper) would be the best though.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz vti Auto 05
    Frist thx for your reply. The information was given very clear. But here is the thing, I don't want to pull my car apart again and rewire it. Is there another way.
    Because the wire install i done before already have sound coming out from the door when i turn up the music. If I rewire it, it would make it worst.
    Do you think I could use the cable that i have now and use a distribion block (1x8ga in, 2x8ga out) to run 8ga to each of the amp? If it end up melting the cable then I will rewire it after! Have anyone try it before?

How much does it cost to rewire?
    Any where good and good for budget? In Melbourne?

Thx...

well those specs say that amp needs 4ga wire anyway, so it might be an idea to run a separate power cable, or at least upgrade your existing wire.

what happens when you use smaller wire is you actually have more losses in the wire because of the larger resistance of a smaller wire. those losses cause the wire to heat up and eventually melt. using a larger wire can both dissipate the heat better AND heat up less for the same current draw. hence why you need to use a lower guage (thicker wire) for higher powered amps.

but you do need to put new wiring in. the cables that you already have wont be bad. they will do the job well for your other amp. but you will need to upgrade the power wire for the other amp. any wire should do fine, as long as its installed properly. OFC (oxygen free copper) would be the best though.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    only way is to pull the car apart and rewire it all.

not sure what you mean by "Because the wire install i done before already have sound coming out from the door when i turn up the music. If I rewire it, it would make it worst."... but upgrading the wires wont have a negative effect on the speakers in the door, definitely wont make it worse.

if your distro block only supports 8awg in & out then obviously you'd have to change it. change/upgrade the wiring too. dont wait for things to stuff up & melt, then having to go thru the hassle of doing everything all over again, costing more money in the end.

even more reason to change it if you're getting a pro to do it. upgrading your wiring should be easy for em, no matter how complicated your wiring/electrical system is.

which side of melb are you from?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz vti Auto 05
    Wantirna, around knox city.
    How much does it cost just to wire it up?
    I can go any within melb. Anywhere good and good budget?

Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    only way is to pull the car apart and rewire it all.

not sure what you mean by "Because the wire install i done before already have sound coming out from the door when i turn up the music. If I rewire it, it would make it worst."... but upgrading the wires wont have a negative effect on the speakers in the door, definitely wont make it worse.

if your distro block only supports 8awg in & out then obviously you'd have to change it. change/upgrade the wiring too. dont wait for things to stuff up & melt, then having to go thru the hassle of doing everything all over again, costing more money in the end.

even more reason to change it if you're getting a pro to do it. upgrading your wiring should be easy for em, no matter how complicated your wiring/electrical system is.

which side of melb are you from?

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    RX450h / RB3
    look my friend since you only running 8awg cable I guess you only using 60A fuse under the bonnet, your cable won't be melt coz the fuse will blown first before the cable melt, so my opinion just leave it and try, 100% you won't melt anything

BUT if you keep blowing your fuse when you pump it really hard then you can think about rewiring it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz vti Auto 05
    Well i've your word. I will give it a try and see what happen!

Quote Originally Posted by aka_NSX View Post
    look my friend since you only running 8awg cable I guess you only using 60A fuse under the bonnet, your cable won't be melt coz the fuse will blown first before the cable melt, so my opinion just leave it and try, 100% you won't melt anything

BUT if you keep blowing your fuse when you pump it really hard then you can think about rewiring it