Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Cool Car Suspension Law - What Spring/shock combo is Legal then?

I just rang the RTA (QLD - Queensland Transport Authority 07 3253 4851)

For Queensland,

The Law states your cars aftermarket suspension must travel 1/3 of the distance between the bump rubber and the bump stop and must be no less than 100mm off the ground to be legal.

I'm wanting to get aftermarket suspension but it needs to be legal,so I am not getting coilovers because that would put me at risk of losing the last 2 points on my licience because coilovers are quite stiff.I bet a lot of people didn't know that or have just learnt it with the increase in defects.

Can anyone tell me if say a koni spring/shock combo is legal?

Koni yellows sound great,I just need to know the distance between the bump rubber and bump stop and see if the koni's travel 1/3 of that.

Thank U.
    Last edited by beeza; 25-08-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    I can't answer your question but I can say that I've got TEIN SS coilovers that are stiff as a board and very low. I've had cops look round my car (not defect ones (whatever they're called)) and never mentioned anything about its 'lowness' lol

Only thing I've been pulled up on was when I had red indicators but now they are orange and blink like a mother.

But really, can they tell how far it travels without taking off the wheels?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by 98vtir View Post
    I can't answer your question but I can say that I've got TEIN SS coilovers that are stiff as a board and very low. I've had cops look round my car (not defect ones (whatever they're called)) and never mentioned anything about its 'lowness' lol

Only thing I've been pulled up on was when I had red indicators but now they are orange and blink like a mother.

But really, can they tell how far it travels without taking off the wheels?
    Well,Mr wills got defected for having 'too stiff suspension',it's happening.

I see cops checking out every single lowered car.I dont want that rubbish.

I'm playing smart.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    yeah I actually wanna raise it up an inch or two since i've got a couple of cracks on the gearbox housing from these 2 friggin rocks on the road that I couldn't avoid (same spot too).... *sigh* plus the amount of engine mounts I've gone thorugh due to rough QLD roads (+ my driving too..)

The sussy is how it was when I bought it but I neither know how to adjust the stiffness correctly and I only have one C-spanner for my coilovers...... buggered if I know how 1 of em got lost.

Loves corners tho

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Noice

My front lower strut brace protects my header!! It's GREAT!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    Ooo, I been lookin at gettin one of them lower strut brace, is that the same as the front sway bar?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 EU3 Civic
    this may not apply to you as your in QLD but in NSW the lowering law states that from August 1 2009 any vehicle that is lowered will have to carry a certificate stating that what they have done is aloud according to safety standard requirements.
    you are not able to lower your car from factory height from more than 2 inches (5 cms)... and that if your car should be lowered you need an engineer's certficate to confirm it...

hope that helps a little bit
    WTB: EK9 Rails or Vision Super Low Rails for EK/EM

what does v-tec sound like...?

ehhhhhhhh ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR dun dun dun ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR dun dun dun ERRRRRRRRRRRR

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Bezza the Koni spring/shock setup I have is legal as the travel is still very much within those realms
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by MRB18R View Post
    this may not apply to you as your in QLD but in NSW the lowering law states that from August 1 2009 any vehicle that is lowered will have to carry a certificate stating that what they have done is aloud according to safety standard requirements.
    you are not able to lower your car from factory height from more than 2 inches (5 cms)... and that if your car should be lowered you need an engineer's certficate to confirm it...

That helps a lot mate,I'm posiive it will happen here soon.More reason to keep it legal.

Thanks Ryan,what type of Koni's are they?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 RB3 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by MRB18R View Post

that law wasnt passed in nsw. we still can lower up and down 5cm without being illegal

http://163.189.7.150/newsevents/down...ation_laws.pdf
    Web: www.jdmconcept.com.au

Email: sales@jdmconcept.com.au

Like our Facebook page and get the latest special offer and news update

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    That helps a lot mate,I'm posiive it will happen here soon.More reason to keep it legal.

Thanks Ryan,what type of Koni's are they?
    They're the Koni Yellow adj. dampening struts with Koni's springs made for the coupe I ordered in from Europe yrs ago, still feel just as good as they did back then
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    They're the Koni Yellow adj. dampening struts with Koni's springs made for the coupe I ordered in from Europe yrs ago, still feel just as good as they did back then
    Vinny told me his koni yellow's he had were the best sussy set up he's had.

That is just perfect then.

Ok,so travel wise they are fine,they travel at least 1/3 of the distance between the bump stops.

How about the height though? Can you get a ticket/defect for being too low?