Newcomer Array

What model civic do I have?

Hi, this is probably a dumb question but I know very little about cars. I only just recently bought a second hand Honda Civic from a private seller on carsales. According to the seller, the car was a 1998 Honda Civic GLi 3 door hatchback manual transmission. However, now that I actually own the car, the car seems a bit odd.

This is a picture of the back of my car, and I've never seen a hatch look anything like this. So I did a bit of searching on Redbook and the only thing I found similar to my car is a 1998 Honda Civic VTi Coupe. I'm pretty sure that my car is this model as on the back it also says Coupe. I just want to triple check with you guys if this is in fact the car I have because I told my insurance company the details from my private seller if it is the wrong car I need to change it ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg b16b hatch
    ek buddy

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    your car is a 1998 Honda Civic GLI 2door coupe or could be a VTI. previous owner clearly doesnt know what hes talking about. open the bonnet and check the badge which sound say EJ or EK something

EDIT: Your civic is a VTI coupe, 1998 did not have GLI coupes. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72623
    Last edited by Nismo3oi; 25-09-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Less is More

Newcomer Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismo3oi View Post
    your car is a 1998 Honda Civic GLI 2door coupe or could be a VTI. previous owner clearly doesnt know what hes talking about. open the bonnet and check the badge which sound say EJ or EK something

EDIT: Your civic is a VTI coupe, 1998 did not have GLI coupes. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72623
    Do you mean the VIN? The first few characters are 1HGEJ8, and from googling I think that means I have an EJ8. Ans also from googling the first few characters of my engine number (D16Y8), I think it's a SOHC VTEC?

If I am correct then I think I've scored myself a bargain. I bought the car thinking it was a GLI hatchback for $7000, looking on CarSales now, 1998 VTI Coupes go for $8-10k.
    Last edited by KeyMan; 25-09-2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: typo

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    yes its a EJ8 which is SOHC VTEC , you are very lucky have scored yourself a great bargain and also lucky you didnt end up with something worst.
    Less is More