Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    awsome thread. u guys are dedicated with this conversion! not many ppl would strip the interior
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    nice work !
    It is good to see a mini writeup on engine swaps.
    I did one for my B18 in to the EK4 but luckily for me is was like swaping out a B16A for another B16A. Nothing too exciting.

Tonite i did a mini photoshoot with changing recaros and rails into a civic.

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic 99
    A quick introduction before i start on anything. First of all, I am the owner of the EK1 and i am not new to OZHonda, been reading you guys' posts everyday but chose not to reply as i am relatively a newbie with cars and i dun wanna mess up any threads . I would like to emphasise that most of the conversion work is done by DCLXVI and i am more like a spectator . Anyway, Thanks for the awesome and encouraging feedback! Appreciate them!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GC8

*[ Part 3]*

Fine weather today, and with my flu gone, we got up early and proceed to remove the engine.

First, I removed the entire cat back, so as to make way for the sub-frame (we intend to take out the sub frame and replace it with the vtir's becoz it has sway bar ). Then we removed both the lower engine mounts.

we then lowered the car until the engine is resting on the home-made engine trolley. Note: we r not using hoist to remove the engine, instead we r takin the engine out from the bottom. With the engine resting on the trolley, we proceed to remove both the upper left, right and rear engine mounts.

we then raised the car high enough for the engine to be pull out by the side. Meanwhile, check if any hoses or cables r in the way.

taaadaaaa.. engine finally pulled out.

with the engine out, we proceed to remove the sub-frame. First, remove the nut on the steering rod from inside the car and detached it. Then i took out 4 of the 5 bolts from each side of the sub-frame. then lower the car till the sub-frame is resting on the trolley. Remove the final bolt from each side and raise the car up enough to pull it out.

heres the old subframe..

puttin the new subframe in the reverse order.

the new subframe with swaybar...

thats all for today, gonna put the b16a2 in tomorrow.. hope everything goes well and fires up with a turn of the key... heehee
    Last edited by DCLXVI; 19-11-2004 at 01:19 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    good work guys!! was really nice reading all the steps you 2 took to get the conversion done!

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Top stuff stan!

Offers still there if you need any help, im not doing anything tommorow (today) so if you need a hand, gimme a buzz..

Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic 99
    Ok guys, the swap is complete and my hybrid VtiR is up and running. Took us a week plus to get everything sorted (including DCLXVI getting sick and had to rest for a day). It didnt take long as all the necessary parts are available (special thanks to George Whinns at Imlachs).

Never encountered any major dramas throughout the process. The biggest two problems were replacing the auto cable with the manual shift linkage and the car would only crank and wouldnt start when we first tried starting it. We had to ask help from James (SIR JDM) and he in turn had to ask one of his friend, Ary (hope i got it right), to come on down to help but the engine just wont start. THANKS to JAMES AND ARY *bow*. In the end, i called George from imlachs and he sorted everything out. DCLXVI's thread shld explain how the problem was solved.

Anyway, i would like to thank DCLXVI mainly for doing the swap as well as Damien (a mate), James and his friend, Ary for their support throughout the process. Many Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Natas666; 26-11-2004 at 02:01 AM.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Great work...I just saw some new pics in the gallery......so I shall wait for DCLXVI's post!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    No problem Hong, just wish coulda been more help. Tried everything... except the ignition cable >_< oh well ..heheh btw its Arie (not Ary :P) and turbo drivers dont understand or appreciate VTEC, he just wanted to see a b16 (dont know why when i have one?) but yea, was in the area... Glad to see everything seems to be ok..

I would really like to congradulate Stan (DCLXVI) on his terrific effort on this project. His first attempt at anything major like this and pulled it off very nicely and did it as a favour to his good friend. Top work again Stan...very acknowledged effort!
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GC8

*[ Part 4]*

The swap is finally complete, sorry for the lack of pictures as we were just too excited to remember taking them.

Installation

we started off the installation by installing the clutch pedal. Manuals/autos civics shared the same chassis. therefore, putting in the clutch pedal does not requires any modification, just pop the grommet and bolts in the clutch assembly.

we checked and make sure that all harnesses are in placed before putting in the dash.

Next jacks up the car high enough for the engine to get in by the side. Then slowly push the engine in.

Align the engine properly in the engine bay. Once in position, slowly bring the car down, be sure to have someone checkin to see if anything is in the way. Be extra careful of the p/s motor, a/c compressor and the rear engine mount bracket.

Once the car is low enough and the rear engine mount bracket is in line with the rear engine mount in the sub frame, bolted it up.

Bolts in all the upper engine mount but do not tighten them yet. Bolts in all the lower engine mount, if you have difficulty doing so, align the engine till you are able to do so, then torqued them appropriately. Now you can torque the upper engine mounts.

Its now safe to jack the car up and pull out the trolley.

Now get under the car and install the shift linkage. Its rather hard to get the shift linkage pin in. Its not easy to maneuver under the car let alone hitting the pin in with a punch driver and a hammer. anyway we have a problem here, there are no existing nuts welded to the chassis to cater for the shifter like manual cars do. we have to drill 2 holes to fit the bolts from the shifter.

and since im still under the car, we proceeded to install the cat back as well. its pretty straight forward, so there will be no pic on it.. (running out of image quota).

next we popped both the axle in, put in the bigger rotor and put torque the axle nut.

Afterwhich, we filled in all the fluids we've drained, i.e, engine oil, transmission oil, coolant. Then we bleed the brakes and the clutch.

As we happily put in the key and hoping to hear the engine roar after turning the key, the car just go crankin and cranking but just wont start... we panic and started askin around.. SirJDM and his mate came over, we checked the fuel and spark, everything seems fine. we even check the dizzy and timing belt... they look fine too..

we called george from imlach the next morning and he told us that new generation ecu works hand in hand with the factory key immobiliser. we will have to use the ignition from the vtir cut in order for the engine to start.

i was in doubt when informed of that but guess what.. hes right... the car starts..

Job done.. the longest 1 and a half weeks of my life..

Difficulty = 6/10
    Hardwork = 10/10
    Moment the engine roars = priceless

Many thanks to james, arie and mates not from this forum ... and my understandin girlfriend (countless hours in garage) and not forgetting hong (owner of car) for taking the risk and fundin this project.
    Last edited by DCLXVI; 26-11-2004 at 01:07 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    wow... great job... O_O but all these sound so confusing to me x_x but ahnwyay a very respectable job well done!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    well done!!! some more pics of the car would be nice!!