Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: B18C turbo

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro

B18C turbo

Time has come for me to upgrade the turbo I have on my car at the moment. It is just too small for what I am after now, although the extremely quick spool is a lot of fun.

I am looking at a GT3071R with a .86 rear-
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob..._700382_20.htm

I would like it to be bolt on and this should fit straight up with only having to adjust the intake pipe. I am looking at staying with 8-10PSI and not looking to build the motor for a while yet although I think this should give plenty of room to move.

I know that a lot of you B16 guys are running the 2871R with a .86 rear so I think that this should give me that bit more flow for the B18C.

This turbo I am suggesting does not seem to come up much in discussion, so what are its compromises? I really do not want to change the manifold and downpipe flanges either as it is just more mucking around.

discussion, opinions, suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by mooshie; 10-09-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    That turbo will flow plenty for what you want to do with it, i would keep with the .63 rear

i have a 3071R turbo and boosts up about 4k on an SR20 so similar time on a B18 seeing that the capasicity is smaller same or longer time and that is with a .63 housing and larger trim.

i would stay the smaller housing but with that front you wont run out of puff on that boost level and also consider the turbos effecincy range and 8-10psi on a 30 with .86 isnt in it.
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    IMO stay with the disco potato if you want to run low boost

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingforboost View Post
    That turbo will flow plenty for what you want to do with it, i would keep with the .63 rear

i have a 3071R turbo and boosts up about 4k on an SR20 so similar time on a B18 seeing that the capasicity is smaller same or longer time and that is with a .63 housing and larger trim.

i would stay the smaller housing but with that front you wont run out of puff on that boost level and also consider the turbos effecincy range and 8-10psi on a 30 with .86 isnt in it.
    dont take this the wrong way..................but u can not compare an sr20 with 8.5 comp compared to a b18c with 11.1 comp..........

the difference in spool time is rediculous and if the honda tuner knows how to tune a honda, with plenty of ignition timing a larger turbo will come onto boost just as quick as the smaller unit..................

b18c needs a minimum gt30 (500hp) roller...............and 0.82 rear........

good luck with it all...............i have done it before and would never look back from a t28 ...

pm me if u want any help

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    I know you have been a champion of the bigger turbos in the past EVAQ plus had very good results.

ATM my 2860 only has the .64 rear and it is way too small, power is limited at the top end to identical whether I run 8 or 10 PSI. throughout the rev range it is about 8kw more on 10PSI but then tapers off. I have attached a dyno read for a bit more info

Last edited by mooshie; 10-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    when i had my t28 it also had 0.86 rear and was still way too small, u will even get away with a 2876r which will bolt to ur manifold and dump pipe and still have the ability to rev and make power a lot longer and later in the rev range....

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    don't go the 2876, its very laggy without the benefit of the power you could get.
    The GT3071r is good for a b18, and alot of people recommend them for a dragcar or hi-power car.

If you want abit more power i'd change to the .86 rear for the 2860 and you will find it may be that extra power you want.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    If you want abit more power i'd change to the .86 rear for the 2860 and you will find it may be that extra power you want.

I would try upgrading to .86 exhuast housing as well, also what exhaust size are you running atm?

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    as i have mentioned before..............
    here is my graph comparison to t28 with 0.86rear
    and gt3076r with 0.82 rear....

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    GT2860RS is quite abit larger than a GT28R (which is actually a GT2560R)
    Rem that the 2860RS has T3 internals and flows alot better.
    Out of the Garrett range the 2860rs is one of the most efficient in its range, it also shares the same exhaust as the GT2871r & GT2876r

Try the rear first its cheaper than a whole new turbo setup.
    With the GT3071r to make the most of it its best to get it with a T3 flange rather than the T28 to reduce restriction

P.S if you wanna get rid of the smaller rear let me know i don't mind having a spare and i wanna see how it handles with the smaller rear.
    Last edited by Limbo; 11-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    would be a good swap for you limbo..both get the benefits.
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    another thing to remember guys, is that a b18c has more static comp than ur b16's which u have all had plenty of experience with, but when u have more comp, its another ball game, dont be afraid to run a gt30, as my graph shows, there is a slight section in the graph where the gt30 is showing less power than the gt28, however, it isnt even noticable when driving.......id love to take all u guys for a drive to compare with ur super responsive gt28's.......

trust me when i say mine aint laggy..........