Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ef strut brace.

ef strut brace.

what do you think, does it look ef8??

I'm getting major clearance issues.

I'm driving around with so many washers to prop up the bonnet that it looks open at the back and front. I put washers in the front too.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ef7.b16a da9.is200.dc2r
    yes,it looks like ef crx,my engine bay is exactly the same as this one.ef ed and da9 have the same lay out.

Quote Originally Posted by 酸菜炖肉 View Post
    yes,it looks like ef crx,my engine bay is exactly the same as this one.ef ed and da9 have the same lay out.
    Dude, I'm not asking about the engine bay, I'm asking about the strut brace.

i had issues when i got my strut brace from Hong Kong, the company that made it used a DA6 XSi for measurement, and the B16A has a different height inlet manifold, so when I put the brace on my DA9 with B18A, it hit the manifold..

I got in touch with the company, and they made one especially for me using measurements that I provided.

Yours definately looks too high, maybe see if you can get someones to test with? I have an EG one that may fit, if it helps?

Cheers
    Tseesinngwailo
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    black EF
    im using RSR strut bar for my ef3 civic...never have a prob...and i think they made for eg/dc..cus it come with the car when i bought it...i can post pic if u need it..
    also cusco made strut for ef8/9. give jdm yard a call!
    hope that help a bit!

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    I had similar issues using a JDM brace. I took measurements and had new mounts made up by a machinist to position the bar. We cut off the brace's original towers, made up ones that better suited the height and used the original base plates and it fitted with no changes to the bonnet position.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    you need a ef8/9 strut brace that has bend back to suit your car chassis shape
    to get the better clearance issues

just some hints - EG/EK/DC strut braces will also suit your car. BUT as mentioned above there will be clearance issues. Its a game of trial and error really !

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_ef9 View Post
    im using RSR strut bar for my ef3 civic...never have a prob...and i think they made for eg/dc..cus it come with the car when i bought it...i can post pic if u need it..
    also cusco made strut for ef8/9. give jdm yard a call!
    hope that help a bit!
    The brace pictured is a Vision technica, reason why I got it was cos it was $40

Not going to spend $200 plus on a new cusco item, I know there are many on the market that will suit.

Budget is the key word here.

Quote Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
    I had similar issues using a JDM brace. I took measurements and had new mounts made up by a machinist to position the bar. We cut off the brace's original towers, made up ones that better suited the height and used the original base plates and it fitted with no changes to the bonnet position.
    Again, budget, money constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    you need a ef8/9 strut brace that has bend back to suit your car chassis shape
    to get the better clearance issues
    This brace looks like it suits the ef8/9 because the right shock tower bracket moulds around the fuse box like its meant to be there.

Its a vision technica.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    just some hints - EG/EK/DC strut braces will also suit your car. BUT as mentioned above there will be clearance issues. Its a game of trial and error really !
    yeah, I already know that, thanks Benn

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    as i understand it,only adjustable EG/EK braces will fit for the front.

i got the bling cusco item bludger on ED with ED bonnet & it rubs slightly on the bonnet liner on drivers side & i have 10mm spacers in bonnet hinges to clear the B18.
    would prob only just clear if i took out spacers & removed liner.
    would prob clear your EF bonnet well,but i realise its not in your budget,but what im trying to get at,is it doesnt look it rises as high as the one u have at the bends on the bar. but it does appear to have taller risers on the tower brackets than yours.
    but mine also appears to sit closer to the firewall than yours
    ah who knows.... maybe u have a DA item & they have better bonnet clearance or something.

yeah, cusco ones look good.

but looking at getting this if I can't massage the current one to fit with a few washers.
    it doesn't look as high as mine, but looks weaker.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Bludger: If the brace you are looking at is the right dimensions, it cost me 40 bucks to have a machinist (not auto-ripoff joint) cut/remake/weld the brace's towers to suit my EF9's. I'm not sure you could have a proper effective brace for any cheaper than that (BTW - mine was a second hand spoon one that I picked up from a wreckers for 70 bucks).

I will say to you that if you have the original EF8/9 intake, there is a dashpot between manifold and head that will rub on a standard brace - that's why I had to mod mine. Cusco one may have issues too - see below:

If you look directly behind the oil-filler cap you'll see the dashpot directly under the strut brace. I modded it to clear by 2mm - enough so that the engine movement wouldn't rub/hit it.

Alternatively, there's a guy in Newcastle that makes braces (front/back/underneath) for the Suzuki GTi - he could probably put together a complete one that fits perfectly for you (and yeah, they actually work).
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX