Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ef strut brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
    Bludger: If the brace you are looking at is the right dimensions, it cost me 40 bucks to have a machinist (not auto-ripoff joint) cut/remake/weld the brace's towers to suit my EF9's. I'm not sure you could have a proper effective brace for any cheaper than that (BTW - mine was a second hand spoon one that I picked up from a wreckers for 70 bucks).

I will say to you that if you have the original EF8/9 intake, there is a dashpot between manifold and head that will rub on a standard brace - that's why I had to mod mine. Cusco one may have issues too - see below:

If you look directly behind the oil-filler cap you'll see the dashpot directly under the strut brace. I modded it to clear by 2mm - enough so that the engine movement wouldn't rub/hit it.

Alternatively, there's a guy in Newcastle that makes braces (front/back/underneath) for the Suzuki GTi - he could probably put together a complete one that fits perfectly for you (and yeah, they actually work).
    I know that thing behind the oil cap.

its there to make the idle more stable.

Its been removed from my car.

doesn't make too much of a difference with it off the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    dashpot is to limit the effects of fuel overrun on sudden quick closing of the throttle for economy & emissions purposes.
    the only other thing u risk by removing it is stalling the motor,by suddenly jumping off the throttle while creeping forward at low rpm,say at the traffic lights or intersection etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    dashpot is to limit the effects of fuel overrun on sudden quick closing of the throttle for economy & emissions purposes.
    the only other thing u risk by removing it is stalling the motor,by suddenly jumping off the throttle while creeping forward at low rpm,say at the traffic lights or intersection etc.
    off topic, but on later model B series engines, they don't use this dashpot thing.

they don't stall.....

what have they got in place of this thing?

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    the stalling issue is secondary & only happen if your really trying,the main one is the fuel overrun concerning economy & emissions.
    not entirely sure how they do it these days without a dashpot,but i assume its just using the idle valve &/or more sophisticated &/or pre-emptive tuning procedures.
    so basically they do it electrically instead of mechanically these days.
    the ol' fast idle valve seems to have gone the way of the throttle dashpot as well.