Member Array

non-cannon muffler for EK1 D16Y4 nonvtec

so theres this extremely annoying rattle coming from my exhaust or just the muffler not too sure, so i went back to the exhaust shop i got it from

i asked if he could fix the rattle and also to put a bigger tip and hes like yea come down a bit later this arvo and ill see what i can find wrong.

then i asked if its worth getting a high flow cat and a changing the muffler to cannon style just for looks (already knowing straight-thru design are not best for D16 engines)...

WTF. the dude started lecturing me about how if i was to build a race car i shouldnt be driving on "our" roads and that i dont care about the community because i want to make the exhaust louder. then he goes on about how my blue wheel nuts arent legal since it doesnt have load rating or whatver and if he was a cop hed take my car of the roads without thinking twice. at the end he was like "im sick of all these p platers thinking their cars are race cars and if you think this way i will charge you labour rates for race cars" not exactly word by word but man.. in my head i was like what the fk is your problem u got cut off by a civic last night or something.

the weird thing is he was really cool when i first came to him like explained to me in and out why i only need 2'' piping such and such, anyway i didnt turn up that arvo and prob wont ever come back.

[/RANT]

so i did a bit of searching today and looked at a couple of non-cannon muffler designs, magnaflow oval, spoon street, tanabe medalion touring, etc.

anyone know any other good ones? or even just a no-brand sport muffler which i can use and still have backpressure? im considering keeping the d16y4 until it blows up (which prob will never happen), or until i have more experience in driving (red Ps ftw), so high-end exhaust systems isnt necessary. right now its more just for something that sounds deep, looks nice and affordable, without losing a significant amount performance.

also i need recommendations of a good exhaust shop preferably within melbourne eastern suburbs, still need to fix the rattling..

sorry for the lengthy rant.. just had to do it

*mods please move to the correct section if necessary
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    what exhaust shop out of interest?

Member Array
    a supposedly reputable exhaust shop in boxhill, melbourne

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1! Black warriorrrrrrrr
    actually a good muffler that i got my EK1 was a twinloop design (x-force) to be exact.

i had 2inch piping, hi flow cat and a resonator in (before this i just had the twin loop turned into a bolt on axel back)...

now...just as an axel back it wasn't so bad....sound was ok, nothing loud or anything ..but the moment it became a cat back ....the difference was tremendous..much louder, deeper and more responsive...esp low range rev.

just my 2c.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD
    I'm planning on getting the xforce catback and twinloop system once I'm done with the handling mods. Should check em out.
    • FML •

Member Array
    checked out their website, looks alright.

does it matter which one i get the S10 (round) or S12 (oval shaped)?

and mr_ree did you get the 2.25 or 2.5 inlet, it shouldnt matter which to get as we would need to flange it to fit the piping anyway should it? correct me if im wrong

i also looked at some ebay twinloops, brand name OBX racing. states guys says its really good, anyone knows much about these?

i wouldnt bother with the obx. xforce are local and therefore cheaper.
    i like the magnaflow muffler. ive got a straight through twin tip on my civic with a 2.25" inlet. its a bit loud but the single tip one quiter if thats what ur after

Member Array
    Car:
    i bought the 2.25 inlet but as you said it didn't matter,....they just fabricated it to turn into a bolt on system. it was all part and parcel of what i wanted

a straight x-force cat back will do the trick.

and it is pretty cheap too.

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by saikou27 View Post
    i wouldnt bother with the obx. xforce are local and therefore cheaper.
    i like the magnaflow muffler. ive got a straight through twin tip on my civic with a 2.25" inlet. its a bit loud but the single tip one quiter if thats what ur after
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_ree
    i bought the 2.25 inlet but as you said it didn't matter,....they just fabricated it to turn into a bolt on system. it was all part and parcel of what i wanted

a straight x-force cat back will do the trick.

and it is pretty cheap too.
    im trying to avoid a straight thru design so the car isnt overly loud, and to maintain the balance between high flow velocity and backpressure so i dont lose too much performance. this is what ive gathered so far but do correct me if im wrong in any way.

with the xforce catback system im guessing they would only have a minimum 2.25'' piping, so id rather just the muffler and maybe keeping my press bent 2'' piping for the same reasoning as above

Member Array
    Car:
    put it this way...it may seem loud in the car but it really isn't that loud from the outside (even when at full throttle)

and with your D16Y4 you aren't loosing any back pressure at 2". I have the same engine and trust me the performance gains are noticeable...0-80 is so much better

now you can probably do without the resonator but that is up to you. Hi flow cat 2" mandrel bent piping and the S12 twin loop is quite a good set up TBH.

When you start the car from cold in the mornings it is much louder than stock but once it warms up and settles down its not that much louder....revving from 1k-4k RPM range the exhaust is much louder .....

However as i stated before, it seems loud from the inside but from the outside it isn't that much louder.

Quote Originally Posted by anzai View Post
    im trying to avoid a straight thru design so the car isnt overly loud, and to maintain the balance between high flow velocity and backpressure so i dont lose too much performance. this is what ive gathered so far but do correct me if im wrong in any way.

with the xforce catback system im guessing they would only have a minimum 2.25'' piping, so id rather just the muffler and maybe keeping my press bent 2'' piping for the same reasoning as above
    a friend of mine bought a single tip magnaflow muffler with an offset center. its about half as loud as mine if that. i would strongly recommend this muffler as u would still technically get the performance of a straight through design but still be nice and quiet.