Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1, 99 DC2

Question increasing throttle response? flywheel or throttle body?

hi. what's the better option to get better throttle response? i just want more acceleration as it feels too sluggish when flooring it.

1. 3.7kg lightened flywheel (with stock clutch)
    2. Bigger throttle body.

Generally, would it be recommended to just get a lightened flywheel and use back the OEM clutch? I'm not sure what clutch i've got as i bought my car from a dealer who cant provide me with any modification details.

Cheers guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 yO!
    What intake are you running?
    I found that the stock oem air-box was sluggish compared to an aftermarket pod filter. Although despite having felt better throttle response with a pod, I don't believe the power increased whatsoever. It actually probably hindered performance.

Definitely look into getting a cold air intake for starters if you haven't got one, you should get improved throttle response and more of a slightly happy feeling when 'flooring it' so to speak..
    I know I definitely haven't looked back since upgrading to a CAI.
    This thread is definitely helpful for intake noobies

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ottle+Response

As for bigger throttle body and flywheel, etc etc. So far, I'll admit that's been well out of my depth and income.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    what size are you wheels?
    not cheap just to do the flywheel and unless you get itb's or something changing the throttle body won't really do much

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    get a heavy duty clutch with a lighter flywheel, car will be heaps quicker in the throttle.
    What engine btw

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1, 99 DC2
    what size are you wheels?
    not cheap just to do the flywheel and unless you get itb's or something changing the throttle body won't really do much
    does the wheel size really matter? 15".

get a heavy duty clutch with a lighter flywheel, car will be heaps quicker in the throttle.
    What engine btw
    b16a2. i/h/e done. stock im. what i wanna know is whether it is ok to get a brand new lightened flywheel and use back on my current clutch (I'm not sure what clutch i've got on now as i dont have any history on this). i don't wish to buy a HD clutch to find that i've already got one on!

If the stock clutch doesn't slip with your current power output (and you don't plan to increase that), then you don't need a heavier duty unit. Whether you replace the current clutch (whether with stock or HD) depends on how worn you find it to be when you pull it out. You don't want to be seperating the engine / box again in a few months if you can help it, so I wouldn't reuse the clutch unless it was in pretty good nick, or money was very tight.

For improved throttle response you want a lighter flywheel (mostly noticably in the lowest gears and when 'rev-matching' for downshifts with the box in neutral). Having said that, you need to ask; is your current lack of throttle response (as you are percieving it) actually caused by an overly heavy flywheel, or is there some other issue with the engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    sorry to hijack.... Currently waiting on installation of lightened flywheel on vtir integra... Is it advised to change the clutch no matter what??? or just wait to see what sort of condition the clutch is in???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    If the stock clutch doesn't slip with your current power output (and you don't plan to increase that), then you don't need a heavier duty unit.
    It's a matter of preference IMO. I have stock clutch on one of my B18's and a "HD" on the other. The stock clutch doesn't slip under power but doesn't have anywhere near the power transmitting ability (of the"HD") when you're slipping it (off the line for example).

Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    It's a matter of preference IMO. I have stock clutch on one of my B18's and a "HD" on the other. The stock clutch doesn't slip under power but doesn't have anywhere near the power transmitting ability (of the"HD") when you're slipping it (off the line for example).
    I know what you're saying, and I tend to agree (I personally prefer a clutch with a bit of 'bite', within reason). My point was only that if the standard duty clutch was coping OK then there is no imperative to change it to a heavier duty unit for the sake of it.

This is especially considering that a heavier duty clutch may well be somewhat more expensive, and may also possibly be somewhat less 'user friendly', which may not be to everyone's taste or pleasant in traffic bound city driving (be careful what you wish for sometimes...).

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    people usually recommend changing it since the gearbox is off anyway
    but if it's fairly new or in good condition theres no real reason to

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    people usually recommend changing it since the gearbox is off anyway
    but if it's fairly new or in good condition theres no real reason to
    Cheers