Thread: autocross??

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er

autocross??

so i wanted to get into a bit of autocross. but i got no idea how, or the types of meets around vic.
    i've tried doing a bit of search but cant find anything :s

can anyone point me in the right direction??

i just wanted to do it in my civic, with just intake mods atm...so nothing too serious. just abit of fun.

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    i know the mg clubs and mx5 clubs have them going, try one of there forums if ya can't find anything, I know an mg club regularly hires out the cop driver training place in tullamarine.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic (B16 A2)

Autocross

I assume by "autocross" you mean the CAMS sanctioned single car against the clock events over about 1 km of loose surface tracks rather than the American style bitumen car park type of event (Have a look at the video I have posted on these pages in the past). Autocross is very big in Victoria. Kyneton Car Club runs a club level autocross virtually every month on their own track and the Bendigo Car Club has fairly regular events as do many other clubs . I run in the Victorian Club Autocross Series in my EG6 Civic (currently leading the 0 to 1600 modified Class by a very small margin after 8 rounds with 3 to go and if I drive as badly as I did in the last round I am not going to hold my current place for much longer ... gulp...)
    Seriously though if you do a search on Google under VCAS or Victorian Club Autocross Series you will find a Yahoo groups site and a stand alone site which gives you full details on how you can become involved and the various Class requirements. At VCAS level we get from 65 to up to 125 competitors and 5 or 6 runs at each event. Drivers range from first timers , older has been rally drivers like me and young hotshot drivers hoping to use autocrosses as a step towards a motorsport career . At the moment the current Australian Rally Champion Simon Evans is running in our series. It is a huge amount of fun and can be one of the cheapest forms of competitive motorsport with some people claiming to get through the year for little more than the cost of the $55 entry fee .Sadly in my case I have had the gearbox out too many times this year and my cost at one stage was about $300 for every minute of competitive driving. (Hope my wife does not see this post.)
    If you have any questions post them here and I will be happy to answer them if I can.
    Steve

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    Anyone know if there is autocross meets in syd? and steve do you compete against RWD competitors? how does the FWD compare?
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    i guess either would be good. i was origonally meaning the short car-park style events. but the loose surface time attack sounds good. either would be fun.

i'll check those out!
    THAT SHIT WAS BANANAS

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic (B16 A2)
    Hi RPM boy. Front wheel drive cars are very competitive in autocrosses and no distinction is generally made between FWD and RWD when classes are being formulated (in Victoria at least). Usually we find that various track characteristics tend to favour a certain type of car and over a year long series this tends to give neither type a significant overall advantage. For example an RX7 and even lightweight Commodores can be at the pointy end at the Melton track here in Victoria because the straights are long and they can utilize their straightline advantage whereas the tight and narrow Boisdale track in Gippsland (Victoria) favours FWD. Having said that neither driveline configuration can usually beat a well driven turbo WRX 4 WD or Evo although it does sometimes happen.
    I am not sure that autocrosses on loose surfaces are as big in NSW as in Vic although we did run the first round of our series at the Deniliquin (NSW) track which is generally very fast and open. Even though it was open it did seem to suit my car and I managed 13 O/R and first in class whereas at Melton a couple of weeks ago I was off the pace and managed only 20 OR and 6th in Class. Although both tracks are fast the Deniliquin corners were more open on the exits and I was able to stay in VTEC a lot more .That is the interesting thing about autocross. There are lots of variables. Just when you think you have a track fully sorted the conditions can change and you drop off the pace. My Civic EG6 needs a bit of moisture (not too much) in the surface to be quick. If it dries out and becomes powdery and loose I tend to struggle.
    Steve
    Last edited by autocross civic EG 6; 14-10-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Left out "WRX"

In nsw we have autocross style events at Oran Park, on the 4wd park and the figure 8 circuit(on the go kart side). Usually there is 2 cars allowed on the track at a time, 2 flying laps. The second car enters the circuit when the first car passes the start line on the second lap..unfortunantly Oran park is closing so there might be no events for the rest of the year..There is a rallysprint circuit at Awaba near Newcastle which is a great circuit its about 3.5klms long with 33 bends!!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Some good comments there by Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rpm boy View Post
    Anyone know if there is autocross meets in syd? and steve do you compete against RWD competitors? how does the FWD compare?
    Best bet is to join up to a car club that is CAMS affiliated as they either run (or are often invited to) events such as motorkhanas. Stay tuned for some announcements on Ozhonda in an effort to get more people to these organised events

Quote Originally Posted by redefine View Post
    i guess either would be good. i was origonally meaning the short car-park style events. but the loose surface time attack sounds good. either would be fun.

i'll check those out!
    I'm not sure how active the Honda Car Club of Victoria is but they would be a great place to start in terms of attending such events.

It's good to see more people get there cars out there for these organised events!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq