What oil - CU2 5000km

Hey guys,

My CU2 is comming up for its second service (the first one is was that checkup one with no oil change etc.) and in the six months I have only done 5000kms.

For this service I assume Honda will be doing an oil change? I would like to bring my own oil. But I have no idea what oil to use or how much I would need. Price is not too much of a concern. I was hoping to get some help with choosing one. The two main ones I have come across are Castrol Edge and Motul.

Member Array
    Car:
    SeeYou2
    This topic has been discussed before - seek and you shall find.

HOWEVER, my advice is to "do what YOU feel is best for YOUR car". Just to give you an e.g. I did a 5000kms supplementary service using whatever the dealership uses (most likely Castrol Magnatec mineral(?) oil) and replaced the oil filter. I'm getting my 10,000kms service as we speak and replacing the same items. 20,000kms service however, I'm planning on BYO fully sik... i mean fully synthetic oil most likely Mobil1 if I can afford it then or one of the Castrol Edge oils (on special@Supacheap Auto atm btw).
    (づ ̄3 ̄)づ

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    At 5000, I'd use either a mineral or semi synthetic. If they are using Magnatec 10w-40 at the dealer, then you can use Shell Helix Plus 10w-40. At the 10,000km service, you can go full synthetic.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Thanks for the replies guys. Did a bit of searching on the net and these forums and looked into the oils you have pointed out.

I am thinking about asking them to change the oil and use Honda FEO at this service (5000km) and then change to fully synthetic after the 10,000km mark.

Honda FEO is a mineral oil isn't it? So my plan is to go to spare parts department and buy a 5lt bottle of Honda FEO and leave it in the car when I bring my car in for a service.

I do have a few questions though

Is there any point in changing the oil filter this service?
    Can FEO be purchased at the spare parts section?
    Can they refuse to change the oil and use FEO?
    Will it void warranty?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilan View Post
    Honda FEO is a mineral oil isn't it? So my plan is to go to spare parts department and buy a 5lt bottle of Honda FEO and leave it in the car when I bring my car in for a service.

I do have a few questions though

Is there any point in changing the oil filter this service?
    Can FEO be purchased at the spare parts section?
    Can they refuse to change the oil and use FEO?
    Will it void warranty?
    Yes, FEO is mineral. When you book your car in for servicing, tell them that you are bringing in your own oil and also ask how much cheaper the service will be.

Yes, they sell FEO in the spare parts section, they won't refuse if you tell them that you are bringing your own oil when you phone them to book the service and no it won't void warranty.

If you don't tell them you are bringing your own oil and rock up to the dealer on the day of servicing with the FEO, then they can tell you that they won't use your oil.

wondering if Castrol Edge 5W-30 is good for him..? i used it when I had my 10k service...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by lf1234 View Post
    wondering if Castrol Edge 5W-30 is good for him..? i used it when I had my 10k service...
    Edge is good, but personally I'd wait until 10,000km.

right.. but just curious on the reason behind it..? is full synthetic oil bad for new engine or something...?

just curious...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by lf1234 View Post
    right.. but just curious on the reason behind it..? is full synthetic oil bad for new engine or something...?

just curious...
    Yeah, the engine needs some time so that the moving parts wear in together by grinding out any microscopic peaks from machining. If you use an oil that is too slippery, the fine peaks don't wear down. I wouldn't say it is the end of your engine if you use synthetic since new though.

mmm.... right.... i c!!!!!
    thx aaronng!!