Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda VT400

Quote Originally Posted by trickedoutvt400 View Post
    i found fuel consumption to be quite good i did 250kms the other day on a little under a 1/4 of a tank and that was including hill climbs.
    Hi, I was just wondering if that was a typo as to get 250km from a 1/4 of a tank (3.5gal capacity) would equate to approx 62km/litre (1.6l / 100km) or 176mpg.
    Now I know that there good but there not that good as those figures just don't seem feasable...

I love the bikes as I got a Spirit VT750C2 (same physical size as the VT400) and just l can't get off of it... LOL...
    But I'm getting around 4.2l / 100km (23km / litre) or 66mpg...
    C.Ya...
    Wally....

2010 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2

Def typo - but your 4.2l is impressive - I have a cb400 and can't seem to scrape under 6l/100. Not impressed at all

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Def typo - but your 4.2l is impressive - I have a cb400 and can't seem to scrape under 6l/100. Not impressed at all
    Well I don't think that I would be impressed either using 6l/100...
    My wifes Yamaha Virago uses about 3.6l/100km (250cc), so when I got 4.2l it blew me away, I was expecting between 5-6l/100km from my 750...
    I kept a log for over a 1000km and the best I got was 4.05l/100km and the worst was 4.7l/100km (just after I modified the exhaust) so I rode it with a little more throttle that tankful, LOL...
    But averaged 4.2 over that time excluding the period testing the exhaust note... But other than that time it avg 4.2l... I believe if we rode together on a constant throttle the smaller 400 should get better fuel economy, but varying speeds the 750 only needs a small throttle opening to get it going and this may be where it's getting better economy... But 6l/100km doesn't sound right, did you go back to the Stealership and ask them to check it, or contact Honda directly about this...
    Last edited by soxOZ; 03-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
    C.Ya...
    Wally....

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    i 250kms at the most out of a full tank on my VT750c2
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

hey yeah it was a typo im getting about 260km out of a tank

Member Array
    Car:
    01 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by trickedoutvt400 View Post
    the sound reminds me of the bugetti veyron
    sorry. what? LOL

Those VT's are sweet, I've wanted to buy a VT600/750 and bobber it

Does anyone know where to find decent saddlebags to fit my VT400 that dont cost over $1000?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic / VT400
    Quote Originally Posted by marksef View Post
    Does anyone know where to find decent saddlebags to fit my VT400 that dont cost over $1000?
    http://www.taylormotorcycles.com.au/...ET_SIDE_SLANT/

The guys at Geoff Taylors Motorcycles are unbelievably nice. They'ree really great, and have been fantastic in how they've looked after me (all round in service and pricing). I've just bought the 2010 VT400 in two-tone blue/silver from them, and just waiting on delivery (though apparently it has been dispatched already). Then there is the customisation, including the saddle bags. I chose the ones in the link above, which are larger than I imagined, and not over the top with village people style tassles...in other words, nice and simple without being too plain/ or over-the-top poncy.

These Saddlebags are about $400, but then so are the brackets, so looking about $800 total. That's under $1K, as requested!

PS: This is the colour scheme I'm getting for my new baby Shadow:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308..jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	16668  

hey guys,

I'm very keen to buy a vt400 myself. I've searched the web a bit for dealers in Sydney (ideally close to eastern suburbs), but haven't found one that really stood out in terms of comments/reviews. Could any of you recommend a/the dealership where you bought yours? be great, thanks!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic / VT400
    Ok, after a couple of drops while riding through the twisties on the Black Spur...fortunately not serious and at low speeds, I think it's time to get crash bars fitted. Googling them, I can't see any specific for the VT400 and wondered if there was much difference with the 750 compatible frames? Does anyone know if these are easy enough to fit myself (as I am definitely not mechanically minded, by the way, so "idiot friendly" is what I'm asking)? Also, what could I expect to pay for a decent set plus installation if I were to get it done professionally?
    Last edited by WolfishGrin; 08-01-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by WolfishGrin View Post
    Ok, after a couple of drops while riding through the twisties
    Hi all,

I am new here and new to riding at 48. Atm I only have an auto license, however this will end in a few months after which I am unrestricted.

Anyway, I am looking for a manual bike and liked the idea of this VT400, as I have read some reviews that it handles well and its not super fast. Both these things suit me.

I note that it is quite heavy compared to other medium cruisers and now reading how WolfishGrin dropped his bike a few times I was after some advice.

Is this bike suitable for a new rider, taking into consideration its size & weight ?

Is the bike easy to drop ?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I think its better to ask these of the real people, the owners & not sales people or online reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by zack9 View Post
    Hi all,

I am new here and new to riding at 48. Atm I only have an auto license, however this will end in a few months after which I am unrestricted.

Anyway, I am looking for a manual bike and liked the idea of this VT400, as I have read some reviews that it handles well and its not super fast. Both these things suit me.

I note that it is quite heavy compared to other medium cruisers and now reading how WolfishGrin dropped his bike a few times I was after some advice.

Is this bike suitable for a new rider, taking into consideration its size & weight ?

Is the bike easy to drop ?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I think its better to ask these of the real people, the owners & not sales people or online reviews.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Zack, I own a 2010 VT750C2 and basically the VT400 & VT750 are the same bikes except for the engine capacity. Both engines are the same physical size externally but have different displacements (e.g. 400 to 750).

Personally I think that this has to be one of the most easiest and stable bikes around to ride. It has an extremely low C of G and as soon as you start to move it just sits upright.

As for dropping them, well this can be put down usually to rider error, more than a problem with the bike. But going very slow (5-10mph) doing a tight turn can cause a small amount of instability, but this is the only time I have noticed it, and is usually a common condition in most cruiser styled bikes with extended forks, but it has never caused me any problems. In fact this bike is more stable to ride than my wife’s Yamaha Virago 250.

What you need to do is stop worrying about this; this bike is perfect for a beginner. The only other bikes in this range is the Yamaha V-Star 650, but just buy the bike you like and want, get out on it and get the experience and fun riding it.
    Good Luck with it all...
    C.Ya...
    Wally....