Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha

Riding In The Wind

This will probably be a good topic for beginners like me and those out there.. For the experienced riders, how do you manage the wind? I was riding over a flyover yesterday and there was this strong gust of wind and my bike wobbled in the wind. My bike weighs just over 250kgs and I could feel that wobble and I wondered if I should slow down, maintain speed and lean against it or sit into a lower position etc. What I did was maintain speed and counter the wind...

Any advice will be helpful...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

I think as a rider you should always feel safe so at the time and not knowing what to do I would have stopped and slowly accelerated towards the wind at a comfortable speed,

Im going to see my cousin today he has been riding for a few years I will ask him and get back to you
    Honda. The Power of Dreams.

...ZzzzZzzz Array
    Car:
    Pushbike...
    Damn on a 250kg bike that must have been some strong wind

I usually just go a little faster, or drop the head and straighten up counter arm
    -------------------------------------------

FFFFffffuuuuuuux999

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by Twincam16 View Post
    Damn on a 250kg bike that must have been some strong wind

I usually just go a little faster, or drop the head and straighten up counter arm
    What I experienced wasn't a head wind but wind that came from the left side of me while I was on the flyover, how best to ride safely across? Do I lean a bit towards the left a bit to counteract the effects? Even if I drop my head, my surface area on the side would still be the same year?

Thanks for your advice
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    um in strong wind, if im riding against it, i just lean down to the point where the bottom of the helmet is almost touching the tank, this way, the wind screen will divert all the wing over your body and yo wont feel most of it, alternatively, just get a double bubble wind screen, helps also.

In terms of side wind, slowing down a little bit would help but wont be good if you are on a hwy and have cars flying past, just need to be alert and get ready, i know it sounds generic but thats they only way to encounter strong wind. consistent counter steer will definately help.
    Just know that no wind will blow u over unless ur stationary, its kinda like turning, if u turn a corner too slow, u have less control over the stability of the bike, same thing with wind. good luck!

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Thanks for the tips!

Only problem is I will never be able to get my head anywhere near the fuel tank as it's a cruiser eheheheheh...

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    ^ Hey mate, i know what you mean, the issue with a cruiser is you are like a parachute, and upright, leaving your body, and the bike more succeptible to the effects of wind...

The first time ths happened to me was when i was riding over the Gladesville Bridge, and it scared the life out of me...

The important thing is to stay relaxed in the arms, and lean into it if it is very strong... once you have experienced it a couple of times you will know instinctively what to do...

Essentially you need to lean in just far enough to counter the push of the wind... sometimes you MAY need to slightly countersteer... what you must be mindful of is that once that gust is gone, your are open to the attitude you have created on the bike as a result of the compensation, so just go easy...
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    I took the bike to the freeway for a 100km/h ride... Geeez, with the strong wind pushing against my head, I had a sore neck after!

I wouldnt say that im an experienced rider because i havent been riding as long as some others, but i mainly do a lot of hwy km's so i know what its like riding in windy situations!!

I would just say, get out there and try and experience it more, cause then you will be able to adapt to different situations when you ride.

What i usually do when i get strong sidewinds is to slow down a little bit and try and centre my weight and keep it low as possible. Watch out for those b-double trucks, they are the worst when they come up fast next to you because you feel sucked into its lane.. :S

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    lol i remember the first time i was sandwiched by b-doubles while on my nsr250 on the monash...not fun
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 Honda Civic Vti
    from my experience, some things i do include:
    1. concentrate alot more n be prepared to use ur body to fight against the gusts.
    2. keep both knees firmly against either side of the tank to manage stability.
    3. duck down, as mentioned earlier to minimise head wind resistance
    4. if winds are TOO STRONG, dont ride.

ps: going FASTER in strong winds may be risky especially in turns/bends as it can cause sudden understeering

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    I just counter steer in to the wind.
    Deano.