Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD

Lightbulb OEM Style Foggies for EK/EM/EJ [Installation Instructions]

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hello, I spent quite some time looking for a good DIY online to install an aftermarket OEM style foggies for the EK but I could only get manuals for the OEM fogs so I thought I'd share the experience with everyone. Especially considering how much time I spent fixing mine I hope this will help you do yours.

To start of, you will need:

1) Fog Light Kit
    2) Hole Saw
    3) Grinder
    4) Power Drill
    5) Utility Knife
    6) Wrench with 10mm Head
    7) 2x Floor Stands and a Jack
    8) Some Wire Ties
    9) Plyer
    10) Straightened Hanger

The Fog Light Kit was bought from a fellow OH member. It has:

2x Fog Lights with Globe
    4x Metal Brackets to attach fog light globes onto bumper
    2x Plastic Shroud
    Wiring – 1single-pin connector, 2x double-pin connector, 1x double-pin connector into Fuse Box, 1 Relay, 1 Fuse, 1x positive connector, 3x ground wires and 1 switch
    Lots of Screws

Notes: I would strongly recommend the use of power tools as this install takes quite an effort and it is essential that you or someone you know familarise yourself with the work required before you begin!

I did this in a fully equipped workshop with no manuals but a mate who’s familiar with electronics made everything so much easier.

Also, I wouldn’t suggest the official manual as it doesn’t represent what you get in an aftermarket set of fog lights and it would only further confuse you.

Caution: Be careful when using power-tools or sharp objects. I managed to break 3 blades and cut myself in the thigh on a very dirty blade, resulting in a shot of tetanus and a course of anti-biotic.

Steps:

1) Before you begin, jack up your car and ensure that they are on the stands. Never work under a car without the stands or risk losing your upper body!

2) Remove connector on the negative battery terminal – Watch out if you have a siren with backup battery!

3) Unload your fog light kit and lay out the wiring. If you have an external battery I suggest you wire everything up externally to make sure that it works before you fit it into your car!

4) Mark out the area you need to cut on your front bumper. I suggest you start small to prevent over-cutting but you might want to open a fairly large area to fit the shroud. I had to repeatedly enlarge the hole many times and it was quite frustrating.

5) Once you have managed to cut a hole big enough to fit the shroud, install the metal frames onto the fog light globe but don’t tighten the screws.

6) Turn the bumper around and install the fog light globes as per the picture.

7) Fit the shroud from the front of bumper and use the screw to secure the shroud onto the fog light globe. You’ll probably need 2 people to hold the bumper and adjust the position.

8) Repeat steps 4 -7 for the other side of the bumper.

9) Once you’re happy with how the fog light sits, leave it as it is and start concentrating on hooking up the wiring. DO NOT fit the bumper back as you may need to re-position/rewire them.

10) Get into the driver’s side and remove 3 screws on the knee bolster (Under steering column and where the fuse box cover sits) and remove 3 screws holding the steering column. Pull the knee bolster outwards. There should be 2 pins holding it in.

11) Pull the steering column open by pulling it from the top and bottom. You will now reveal all the craziness that goes beyond your daily drive.

12) Now head back outside the car, and referring to the diagram below, hook up the wiring and feel free to tuck the colourful wires and secure them on existing tubing or wire tie them.

13) Connect the ground cables onto the chassis through any bolt you desire.

14) Connect the power cable onto your battery's positive terminal. I used an extra bolt to secure it so I don’t have to remove my battery connector to remove the fog light’s power.

15) Route the relay and fuse box from under the headlight into the engine bay, then bolt them onto the chassis. Please ensure that the relay and fuse box are not going to be damaged when you close the hood.

16) Route the 1-pin connector cable on the driver’s side from the engine bay into the rubber plug that goes into the trim.

17) Use a straightened clothes hanger, tape the 1-pin connector cable to it and poke it in so it will lead the connector safely into the driver’s side.

18) Now get into the car, or have a mate help you pull it in near the fuse box.

19) Now with the other set of wiring, connect the 2-pin brown connector into the spot (2nd spot from left) above the fuse box. Attach the ground cable to the chassis in the car.

20) Connect the 1-pin power connector to the other end of the separate wiring.

21) Push out the cover on the knee bolster where you want to fit your fog light switch. Plug the switch in and now try turning on the fog lights. If you have tested this in the external environment the fog lights should light up.

22) If they do light up, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

23) You may now fee free to tidy up the wiring, reinstall the bumper in reverse order and enjoy the additional lighting you get at night!

This took me over 6 hours to complete as I was completely unaware of what was required and the bumper cutting really did take its toll on me! Overall I’m pretty happy with the result. I will try and make the shroud sit more flush on the bumper when I have the time later on.

Feel free to ask me any questions, or PM me should you encounter any difficulties with your kit.

Pictures:

Last edited by neo_phase; 13-10-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    • FML •

Member Array
    Car:
    Understand
    sweet i will do this soon!
    rep+1

~King Of Spam~

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    nice work man, but could have gone that bit further and made it look clean/tidy. using corrugated conduit would have worked great.
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD
    Quote Originally Posted by riruiz_88 View Post
    nice work man, but could have gone that bit further and made it look clean/tidy. using corrugated conduit would have worked great.
    Yea mate that's what I plan to do this weekend, tidy up the wiring in the engine bay with some tubing that I bought for this. Just that I had to leave my friend's workshop by 5pm that day and had no more time.

Car needs a good clean too!
    • FML •

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    thats fair mate, im just one of those guys that likes to do things in an expert manor. try bringing the 12V supply for the relay into the cabin. then run this cable with the switched wire for the relay in corro into the cabin.
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Member Array
    great stuff neo, glad you worked it out!

btw does the beam from the fogs shine lower than the headlights or higher.

mine shines really high and the adjustable springs wouldnt go lower than what it is..

not sure how to fix this :S
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    awesome DIY
    repped accordingly
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    good stuff sean, I might consider installing mine now.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD
    Quote Originally Posted by riruiz_88 View Post
    thats fair mate, im just one of those guys that likes to do things in an expert manor. try bringing the 12V supply for the relay into the cabin. then run this cable with the switched wire for the relay in corro into the cabin.
    No worries. I'd like to start having best practices too. Am thinking of a way to draw power from the headlight switch so the fogs would only come on when the headlights are on. Still an amateur in this area but I'll have a play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by anzai View Post
    great stuff neo, glad you worked it out!

btw does the beam from the fogs shine lower than the headlights or higher.

mine shines really high and the adjustable springs wouldnt go lower than what it is..

not sure how to fix this :S
    My beam shines lower than the headlights. I believe that's how it's meant to be. Have you tried tightening the top screws on the bracket so it would aim it lower?

Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    awesome DIY
    repped accordingly
    Thanks Ryan. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by jks24 View Post
    good stuff sean, I might consider installing mine now.
    I reckon you should too! Get that JDM look. I'll be more than happy to help you out if you have any issues.
    • FML •

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by VTec1987 View Post
    good job on it mate
    +1 for u man
    did he also buy these off you mate?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD
    ditto.

I did some work on the engine bay over the weekend, where I've used the conduits to cover up the wiring and make it neater. Will post some pics up later.

Josh you've got exactly the same kit so go for it!
    • FML •