Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Red 95 Eg5

Exhaust for D16Y1

As some of you guys/girls read on my introduction post, I want to keep my D series engine for now and in the near future maybe boosting the little engine.

I've got the looks department and suspension covered; and installed an Injen CAI, but for now I want an exhaust system; I want to go with ITR b-pipe and maybe an EK4 axleback. The ITR b-pipe and EK4 axleback should be bolt-on from what I have read.

To create a high-flow exhaust, Am I able to use the ITR cat aswell?

Im confused and really don't know what to do, ITR cat (if possible), ITR b-pipe and EK4 axleback is what I have in mind. Will it work?

To the guys out there with more experience can you please suggest a good combo that would be suitable for the car.

Many thanks in advance.
    I ♥ my Backyard Special

Member Array
    whats the diameter on the itr b-pipe? i rkn just get a 2'' piping fabricated and get a muffler of your choice, depending on whether you want loud or soft.

imo dont spend to much on performance until you decide to boost the engine, no matter how high the exhaust flow is you really won't notice significant improvement withe the d-series, however im not too familiar with sohc vtecs so it might be a different story in your case.
    naturally i finished my set.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by anzai View Post
    no matter how high the exhaust flow is you really won't notice significant improvement withe the d-series.
    Not true. You will notice significant improvement with a sports system (up to 2.25'') over the standard unit. I originally had some headers fitted to a hiflow cat (CATCO), resonator and sports muffler and the improvement was very noticeable on my D16Y1 engine (1993 Civic EH9 VTi). I've now transplanted that rebuilt engine into an ED6, with D16Y1 standard header, same resonator, and a Lukey sports muffler and the throttle response is terrific. I've built a 2.25'' mandrel bent system and that makes all the difference.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    ah, so it is different with sohc vtecs.. good to know

well i guess you wont get much gains on d16y4, to put it more accurately.
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    Red 95 Eg5
    Do you guys have any experience, with the system I've mentioned above?

anzai, I think ITR b-pipes are 2".

jdm_b16a, where could I get a good system done?

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Jaime; 08-10-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    I ♥ my Backyard Special

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    a good cat back is all you'd really need to get, shouldn't be over $350 for that anywhere down south, just a basic press bent system will be a good improvement even with stock headers
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Red 95 Eg5
    So can anyone recommend a good place where I can get an exhaust done...Anyone ever put Spoon N1 axleback on a D16Y1?

I would head down to Liverpool exhaust but they would probably rip me off, plus I don't know much about exhausts.
    Last edited by Jaime; 10-10-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    I ♥ my Backyard Special

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Exhuast Shop

Try the Performance Exhaust Centre, Windsor Road, Northmead. 9683 5688.

Near the flyover/junction where Bunnings is. They did a great job on one of my other cars (turbo setup).

Peter

on an engine such as a D series (any) there will NOT be any improvement in outright HP. It just alters your power curve slightly....IE alittle more top end feel.
    If you intend to keep the engine in the car then yes , go for it. 2 inch MAX for any D series.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    on an engine such as a D series (any) there will NOT be any improvement in outright HP. It just alters your power curve slightly....IE alittle more top end feel.
    If you intend to keep the engine in the car then yes , go for it. 2 inch MAX for any D series.
    The original poster asked if there would be an improvement. He didn't specify the parameters for this improvement. Perhaps he should have. My reply was that there would be an improvement but I also fell into the same trap and wasn't specific about what those improvement(s) might be. No one mentioned outright horsepower. That's not to say that there may not be some improvement in that area, no matter how small. My response was based on personal experience and 'feel' - I've never felt the need to visit a dyno. I agree, a 2'' system would be a good fit for what he wants to do, in terms of cost and outcome.

Peter

Member Array
    Car:
    Swift ZC31s
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post

I want to go with ITR b-pipe and maybe an EK4 axleback. The ITR b-pipe and EK4 axleback should be bolt-on from what I have read.
    The set up you mentioned might bolt-on but, no it will not work if you want performance.

OEM ITR B-pipe is 2.25 inch but OEM EK4 axleback is only 2.0 inch. So, its not a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    The original poster asked if there would be an improvement. He didn't specify the parameters for this improvement. Perhaps he should have. My reply was that there would be an improvement but I also fell into the same trap and wasn't specific about what those improvement(s) might be. No one mentioned outright horsepower. That's not to say that there may not be some improvement in that area, no matter how small. My response was based on personal experience and 'feel' - I've never felt the need to visit a dyno. I agree, a 2'' system would be a good fit for what he wants to do, in terms of cost and outcome.

Peter
    In no way picking your post - you are 100% that this is a vague topic with an equally open answer.
    But we can all summarise , that a D series from standard to midly built (no turbo) will benefit from a freer flowing header cat , cat back and muffler , with 2 inches been a general size that comes to mind. Remember also the significant weight saving is a bonus of any after market system (mild/ stainless is lighter than cast iron !)