Thread: Water and CAI

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro

Water and CAI

I installed my injen CAI the other day on my em1. Rained up here in brisbane today, got home and felt around the Pod and of course there was some water on it. Should I or do i need to be worried about this? What effects will it have when the pod gets wet?

Thanks

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Theres quite a few threads on the forum that cover this.
    Heres one:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61677

If your filter gets a little wet its fine. Even if it gets quite a bit wet its fine. If it gets submerged in water, then you should be worried.

Your intake will easily draw up air, much more easy than water. Of course you will get some minor water consumed, but its nothing to be concerned about.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Theres quite a few threads on the forum that cover this.
    Heres one:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61677

If your filter gets a little wet its fine. Even if it gets quite a bit wet its fine. If it gets submerged in water, then you should be worried.

Your intake will easily draw up air, much more easy than water. Of course you will get some minor water consumed, but its nothing to be concerned about.
    thanks mate, I will cut my fog light cover out as well now to get more flow.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mazda 3 + Honda Odyssey
    +1 to above. Pod has to be submerged for u to be worried

However, sometimes water can get onto the MAF sensor and throw a CEL.
    I actually put a Monza Heat shield onto my pod and it seems to do the trick to guard it from most of the water. After heavy rain the pod is a little wet.. but not as bad as before.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2
    u should have gotten a Hydroshield wen u got ur intake....

airflow is not affected and its cheap insurance. note, its water REPELLANT, not water PROOF. use common sense, if its raining hard and there's a deep puddle, think twice before proceeding.

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    thanks all might get one of those shields i think

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    It will be fine without a cover, don't waste money on un-needed things imo.
    All they are going to do is stop water splashing onto the pod, they won't help if it goes under water.
    Aslong as you have the oem splash guard (dc2's have them not sure about em1) there you won't get enough water under to actually do anything unless you submerge it, then you're in another game.

If you're really interested you can look into water cooling for engines, tbh if you got tiny drops of water if anything it'll do good to the engine, and as stated if it looks deep (higher then your pod position) then don't drive through it, I wouldnt drive through water that deep regardless tbh.

One problem with injens is they are 1 piece intakes, because I run a modifed oem box I just disconnect the intake arm if i'm super worried (floods earlier in the year) and I drove home as normal.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    Josh as you know I have a injen cai and I'm running the bellmouth to feed it cold air aswell as having no inner gaurds

I've never had a problem with water and I've driven in very heavy rain and during the flooding I drove through quite a few puddles one would have been about 2-3in higher than gutter level

My car has never skipped a beat just think of it like a straw there is not a huge amount of suction so the filter has to be fully submerged for it to draw up water

So just use your instinct and avoid puddles if you can

At first I considered doing similar to what Andrew does by cutting the tube and using a silicon joiner. This way the lower section can be removed and the filter attatched in the bay making it a short ram intake

But as I say i have never had any problem with hydrolock so I have never botherd
    R.F.F.R