Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    2.25" is fairly big. 2" would be better. I think about 3" for a cat would be a good fit, but once it hits the cat-back it'll depend on the size of the piping anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    What kind of paint would you use? Crinkle paint or something? Would need to sit well with extreme heats and I don't really know anything about that...

sohc_ma_vtec how much did it cost to get them to your door? Got a picture we can see?
    use just a clear on them or header paint in silver, blue, orange, red or something
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    B18EG|EG6|EP3
    2.25" is fairly big. 2" would be better. I think about 3" for a cat would be a good fit, but once it hits the cat-back it'll depend on the size of the piping anyway.
    So should the cat be bigger than the pipe? Is there a rule of thumb for cat sizes vs pipe size?

I'm about to grab some n*power ebay headers although im not sure about the outlet size on them. I doub't il be changing my pipe size.
    My EG5 build
    "Try to move in with a hot easy gurl. I've got a mate who does his house mate when he gets drunk. This way you can cure some of the loneliness and also save $$$ on prosties. Just remember to act like nothings happened the next day because if you get attached your laterz mate."

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If you go 2.25" front to back you might lose your low-mid range power and start to feel sluggish. You'll certainly feel the same (at best) or slower (more likely) off the line than if you went 2".

I'm not the best on cat sizes but I think 2.5"-3" will suit your 2.25" setup.

As for N*Power's outlet size just give them an email and ask ----> then post here and let me know!

Good luck!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    I am thinking of doing this to my D16, it goes well enough at the moment, but my sisters pulsar has extractors and a sport exhaust, and it sounds really nice. Once I get my new stereo and wheels I'll start upgrading the car mechanically. At the moment I just have to convince my boss to back pay me early, he owes me about 2k for side work!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    The cat NEEDS to be the same size as the rest of the system,so U have a 2" system,2.25" system,2.5" system etc

Everything needs to be the same size to work properly.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    That beeza for clearing that up for me. So I gotta get a 2" cat and 2" cat-back to mate to my 2" headers on my D16Y1?

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yup exactly! Having different sizes will upset the flow!

Your welcome.

Here's my 2" system still going strong,no changes,just 5 repairs to the headers,mostly replacing gaskets where the 4 meets the 2.Now it's double gasketed.One time it had to be filed flat at the same place,cause I bent it.That was on the Ozhonda annual cruise day lol but it only cost me $100!

There's some vids in the youtube link in my sig - See how the y4 auto with a 2"system performs
    Last edited by beeza; 26-12-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I've never seen an after market 2" cat for sale - do you know where I can source one when I'm back in AUS or would it be best, in your opinion, to have one made up when I get the cat-back?

And I thought you said your setup was all 2" but the muffler is 2.25"? Or is that fine because you're going from smaller to larger, as opposed to going small to high to small (IE 2" to 2.25" to 2")?

And why have you been repairing your headers? <lol> Car too low/scraping?

My EH9 isn't really lowered (it's my daily driver) so I have plenty of clearance

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    O,true,it is 2.25",from memory I dont think there was a 2" twin.I think being the muffler and like U said going from smaller to larger on the exit point,it wont matter much at all.

From memory I think that was the case,does anyone know if that sounds right?

$147 delivered Magnaflow 2" hi flow cat -it's ceramic core though.

Or try 999automotive on here,they stock 'magnaflow',U should be able to get a 2" metal cat from them.One with a metal core.

Yeah,my car car isn't too low,it was 1 finger gap at the front and 3 at the rear with the old shocks,and cause they were old and lost thier firmness,I bottom out a few times,but the front under strut bar protects the headers but also it has whacked the headers and made a lil' flat spot..

Now the new KYB gas shocks are in I should be right! So much firmer,no saggy,slopiness.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I'm buying one of these now - A 'H Brace' that will solve the smashing up of the headers problem.

Should improve handling too,I reckon.Fingers crossed

Remove the old ebay crap bar that's all smashed up lol and put in THIS!

Member Array
    Car:
    B18EG|EG6|EP3
    If you go 2.25" front to back you might lose your low-mid range power and start to feel sluggish. You'll certainly feel the same (at best) or slower (more likely) off the line than if you went 2".

I'm not the best on cat sizes but I think 2.5"-3" will suit your 2.25" setup.

As for N*Power's outlet size just give them an email and ask ----> then post here and let me know!

Good luck!
    ok so i just got a reply regarding these

http://www.nahux.com/NPOWER/product.php?part_no=H-D16

inlet is 1.5"
    outlet is 2"

anyone got any experiences with them?

Based on what i've read so far, this would mean i should get a 2" cat, even though i have a 2.25" pipe
    My EG5 build
    "Try to move in with a hot easy gurl. I've got a mate who does his house mate when he gets drunk. This way you can cure some of the loneliness and also save $$$ on prosties. Just remember to act like nothings happened the next day because if you get attached your laterz mate."