Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo

Cant get my Bov to work since i changed turbo

Strangest thing ever...

So i got a HKS SSQ Bov which has only been on the car for 6 months so its close to new. I installed it when i had my gt28rs installed and it worked fine but after i rebuilt the motor and installed the gt2871r the bov just doesnt want to work. I removed it on the weekend pulled it apart completely, cleaned it up and made sure nothing was broken inside. All seams fine so i put it back on the car and the dam thing still doesnt wanna work. So i check vac lines, tried 2 different hoses and 3 different points of Vac and still doesnt work.

Anyone have any idea's they think might be causing this?
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    What boost pressure range is the BOV rated to work at?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    its worked at 5psi before...rating says 7psi+ on the site

im running 10psi.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    had the same prob with mine also, the GT2871 seems to not go off until i hit higher RPMs
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    the gt28rs obviously spools up earlier, also giving PSI earlier but the 2871r only takes a little longer so it cant be that.

The hks ssq is one of the only bov's ive had that activate on very low psi. On older bov's ive had Supersonic and megasonic Turbosmart bovs they dont even activate unless ur giving it a bit.

But with the Hks ssq it will activate even on idle and just revving slightly. But since the gt2871r it hasn't worked. I'm using a solo vac directly from the intake manifold, using Sard silicone 2mm internal vac lines which ive always used.

I do remember with my old 35/40 which i had on my first turbo setup.. that thing took until 5000+ rpm before bov would engage.

should have nothing to do with spooling (sort of). if u make the boost it should let off. if it hasnt been used maybe its ceased up, and just needs lubricating with some engine oil for moving bits inside it. mine sat on the car 3 months without even being starting and works fine on 1st start after getting my licence back

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    A Bov works on a Push Pull system. +ve boost on one side and -ve vacum on the other side to open the valve.

Where have you got the vacum run to? *edit* sorry, I should learn to read.

Have you played with the adjustment spring tension?
    Last edited by DLO01; 13-10-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    yeah i got the turbosmart supersonic

Quote Originally Posted by FastFwd View Post
    the gt28rs obviously spools up earlier, also giving PSI earlier but the 2871r only takes a little longer so it cant be that.

The hks ssq is one of the only bov's ive had that activate on very low psi. On older bov's ive had Supersonic and megasonic Turbosmart bovs they dont even activate unless ur giving it a bit.

But with the Hks ssq it will activate even on idle and just revving slightly. But since the gt2871r it hasn't worked. I'm using a solo vac directly from the intake manifold, using Sard silicone 2mm internal vac lines which ive always used.

I do remember with my old 35/40 which i had on my first turbo setup.. that thing took until 5000+ rpm before bov would engage.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsword27 View Post
    should have nothing to do with spooling (sort of). if u make the boost it should let off. if it hasnt been used maybe its ceased up, and just needs lubricating with some engine oil for moving bits inside it. mine sat on the car 3 months without even being starting and works fine on 1st start after getting my licence back
    as i said in the first post i pulled it apart and cleaned it all making sure its working fine, its fully lubricated and everything is functioning in the bov. Its only 6 months old anyways and ive probably daily driven the car 1-2 months with it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    A Bov works on a Push Pull system. +ve boost on one side and -ve vacum on the other side to open the valve.

Where have you got the vacum run to? *edit* sorry, I should learn to read.

Have you played with the adjustment spring tension?
    my hks ssq isnt the adjustable model. I was going to buy the adjustable one but they didn't make much difference in the turbosmart series, it just changed when the bov would engage. Either earlier in the RPM or later but the volume of the bov was roughly the same.

I was thinking of maybe weekening the spring a bit on it to see if it would engage easier. But i doubt anything has changed on the bov so i didnt want to touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    yeah i got the turbosmart supersonic
    Yeh i didnt mind the supersonic...it was a bit to Raspy for me. wanted more of a higher pitched psss...

the supersonic sounds more like a KSHHHH and the hks ssq morel like tssss

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Well a bov is a very simple thing. If you have boost and have vacum and everything mechanically is operating, then it should be fine. Stumped.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Well a bov is a very simple thing. If you have boost and have vacum and everything mechanically is operating, then it should be fine. Stumped.
    yeh ns same...

i pulled it apart 3-4 times and tested a bunch of things to see if it was this seal or that seal and nothing working...

i still think the problem lies with the actual bov. But i cant see any faults with it.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Can you move the piston with you fingers smoothly? Like with a Tial 50mm bov you have can push the piston. Not sure on the access with the HKS.
    Last edited by DLO01; 13-10-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Deano.