Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pick me a HeadUnit!

Hey guys,

Im totally overwhelmed by the amount of audio gear on the market, and i have no idea what to buy. need your recommendations...what i do know is.

I have an integra (want something to match/look good in a black interior, maybe charcol/black coloured HU, not sure about if silver head units looks good??? havent seen any, but i cant picture it)

Budget $350 or so...higher/lower.

No real requirements, something with nice lighting/large display...good quality, mp3....

So the bottom line is....if you had $300-400, what head unit would you buy?

Member Array
    Car:
    pogo stick
    pioneer deh-7650 MP of ebay

alpine cda-9827 for me, not as flashy but at least has 4v preout. totally a personal choice though.

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    check out the new panasonics, my friend just got one, and it is motorized, big screen, mp3, pre-out for front, back, has sub out ,aux in, cd changer control, big blue screen, looks pretty nice, and sounds ok too.

he got it from jb-hifi for $326 after a fair bit of bargaining
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Mud Crow
    well considering any answer in this thread would be subjective as people become quite protective of thier favorite brands I can't really recommend anything. All I can say is that Iv'e had good experience with Alpine, pioneer and sony. You need to specify what your outcome is apart from (Black and 350$). For instance to you plan on running multiple amps in the future? Subwwofer integration, what is your goal? Answer this and you might get some constructive answers.

I do know that sony make some sleek looking black decks for like 350$.

Hope that helps mate.

-KB

ok well to answer your questions KB.

- No i will not be running 'multiple' amps...just a 4 channel Cadence amp setup w/12" sub

- Subwoofer intergration im not sure on, i've seen pioneer advertising on their new cd players that it can run a sub without use of an amp, but i havent heard whether or not this is truely as funtional as it makes out to be.

But apart from that, $350 odd dollars = whats the best? thats what im after

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    apline cda 9831/9833 triple rca, 4v preouts, mp3, tilt action face. good for the teg so it can adjust the face angle. $400 odd dollars or so.

You definetly need tilt as I had the Alpine 98315 in my dc2 integra and as you know, the head unit is positioned quiet low. I always had it tilted up a notch, that way the viewing angle is perfect without the sun glare.

So basically, you NEED to have the motorized face

decided between 2 pioneer models the 7650MP or contemplating spending the xtra dosh on the 8650MP, with the wicked colour OEL display...very tempting right now, but have made mind on pioneer, thats 1 thing. thanks for the replies so far all.

Member Array
    Car:
    pogo stick
    my vote goes to the 8650 becuase of the color display and DSP (digital signal processor)

yeh well, of course its the better of the two units, its just weather to spend the extra...its alot. but damn its nice

Member Array
    Car:
    pogo stick
    7650 $369+shipping
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....sPageName=WDVW

8650 $545+shipping
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....733558416&rd=1

$176 price difference on ebay and $400RRP difference thats a big difference

well worth the money if you were to even resell the headunit if you didnt like it. you could probley make money and get the cheaper one