As some of you may know, my car is undergoing a pretty big build and the shell is currently being stripped and resprayed. A lot of the junk that came out won't be going back in (as per usual track cars), however whilst gutting it I came across something I'd like to share.

The red circles indicate a patch of sound-deadening. In a Dc2 Vtir, there are a total of 9 patches of sound-deadening. I know it doesn't look like much, however after we took it all out, we put it in a bucket and weighed it. I was stunned that it weighed in at whopping 10.4kgs.

If I had of known the weight that I could have saved by stripping this sound-deadening out when I was racing the b-series, I can guarantee you all that it wouldn't have taken me this long to finally get rid of it.

For all of you out there tracking your Honda's, can you afford to carry around 10kgs more than you need? Our cars our built around the concept of power:weight and whilst having light cars to start with, there are several other little things like this that you can do to improve that ratio.

I just wanted to point it out - majority of you lot would already know this, however this is mainly for the newbs just getting into it. I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to do it (there are DIYs for that), I simply wanted to share my experience, and maybe amaze some people as much as I was when I saw the reading on the scales. It's such an easy and relatively cheap modification to make to your car that can help you shave hundreths of a second off of your lap or 1/4 mile times. If you already strip your seats and carpet for raceday then this is just something else, that if you're super-keen, can help you knock your time down. I know when I first started drags, and was stripping the interior, I had no idea that this stuff was there let alone weighed as much as it did.

This is what it looks like when it's cleaned up:

You can always put your carpet, trims and seats back in after as well and no one would be the wiser.

So what do you guys think?