Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    i believe you do not pay stamp duty when transferring a car to your immediate family ie husband to wife, father son, and i think must also have the same address. I believe all you will pay is a vehicle transfer fee like for example 25 bucks for the admin/paperwork at rta with no rwc required. Its only when you sell to an outsider you will need this i believe.

Anyway look it up on your states rta website ie. vicroads for in victoria.

wt about if i buy it from a private seller can i say i buy a dc5r off him for500 will theycheck on it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Blk AP1, GPW AP2
    Yes mate. If u get the car from your parents, it's like you buy a car from someone else... need to do rwc, pay stamp duty. The only time i had exemptions of paying transfer fee is transferring the car between me and my girlfriend. (i.e. the domestic partnership rule.....can see vicroad website for more detail). Hope this help and have a good one.
    Joe

Member Array
    Car:
    Blk AP1, GPW AP2
    Quote Originally Posted by tiah313 View Post
    wt about if i buy it from a private seller can i say i buy a dc5r off him for500 will theycheck on it?
    Apparently, they do random check... u may get caught and u may not..... but try to be reasonable and according to the guy in vicroad, they judge by the market value (more likely the red book value)...... so u got the rough idea.
    Joe

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    but how much stamp duty will they charge u? 10% of selling price? but u didnt pay for it. it was given. so how much would u have to pay?
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Blk AP1, GPW AP2
    Quote Originally Posted by drsilliez View Post
    but how much stamp duty will they charge u? 10% of selling price? but u didnt pay for it. it was given. so how much would u have to pay?
    Um.. which type of transfer u refer to ? the one that was given as a present from your parents?

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    yeah...
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Blk AP1, GPW AP2
    If that is the case. Most likely they will tell u to use the market value as the declared value...... (as stated on the transfer paper "declared market value")

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04
    yeah i called up vicroads, they said the $35 and $8 for every $200 on either the selling price or the market price WHICHEVER IS HIGHER ><"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Toyota now :P
    in qld i gave one of my old cars to a cousin worth about 10k. he put down on the transfer he payed nothing as he was given it, and payed no stamp duty. just payed for transfer fee.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EF2 Feat B16A
    In Victoria if u put down the purchase price of a Car under market value & IF your car is written off/Unrepairable

then u will only get back what u paid..

So if u want to cheap out on the stamp duty then u might loose out if anything else were to heppen....

Happened to a friend when he write his car off...he claimed he purchased the car for $1500 but really purchsed for $4500..he only got back $900 minus insurance cost..

Dash