Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

Turbo on a D17Z1 (non vtec)

Hi, im new to the car scene and just currently doing some research and want some opinions and advice,

i have plans in the near future to run a low boost turbo on my civic (04 sedan). 7psi or less

what are the recommened changes that i will need such as ecu? engine internals etc? are there any recommended turbo kits? or does anyone have contacts for custom kits?

the car is having a CAI and hi flow cat-back system with a 2.25" muffler installed in the next month.

thanks heaps ~! input is much appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    If ur thinking of going turbo in the future i would do a 2.5" cat back to save money down the road.

im running a stock block set up for my turbo and have no problems with it.

i have sent u a PM.
    Last edited by Riced_Civic; 31-10-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    thanks~! i've come across that suggestion as well from the 2.35 -> 2.5"... out of interest, what does the .25 difference really do?? im not going for massive power gains, but just more torque and pull at the lower - mid range revs, and im not planning to drive it hard as this is my second car since my accident last month and still recovering, planning just to putt the car along...

im going for a simple and clean look and dont wana be a cop magnet, so im paranoid about making the exhaust too big. i heard resonators can reduce the noises produced?

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Bigger exhaust will make the turbo spool quicker as well as let it breathe better at higher rpms, 2.25" will be fine but 2.5" would be better

B20VTEC Build Thread

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    o i c, on that basis, it would be better for the car in terms of balance between how much its intaking and breathing out right? im planning to change the ecu as well.

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    if you not going to go more then 7psi then no internal change is required.. obv u need a better ecu.. i would suggest hondata

you going to make the kit yourself? or buy shelf one?

have a look at these turbo kits

AFI
    FullRace
    Spoolin
    PeakBoost

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    im not sure whether to buy one off the shelf or make one because its not my area of speciality and i dont have the network to know anyone to build a kit. whats the price difference? i was looking to spend about 4k tops to have everything in full working order for the turbo, ecu, and anything else required to eliminate any chances of engine damage such as turbo timer...

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 H22a Accord
    Its best not to cheap out on things, might end up costing you a engine rebuild or replacement. Good basics ie. Computer, Fuel, Tune. Is where I say to target your money some people might disagree but more opinions are better than one.

My turbo kit is made up from scratch ended up getting more an more expensive in the long run had to get turbo rebuilt, different injectors, standard computer was "chipped" to run a turbo but never really worked so I got a hondata etc can go on an on about all the things that have been done twice. Haven't even got to the tune the thin line between boosting an blowing up.

Basically. Invest in GOOD products an brand names think about things twice do it once plan it out.

Good luck.
    CD5REPZ

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    greddy kits are like 2700 online, you can get the kit to your door for about less than your range.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    ^^ thing is greedy dont make kits for 01-05 civics

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    go the 2.5 with a resonator and a oval rear muffler will keep the noise down and save you $$ in the future.

to make a custom kit manifold and dump will set you back about 1.2k
    plus what eva turbo you decide on
    some where near 2000 for ecu and tuning
    and then you will need to have custom intercooler piping and intake setup + intercooler and lines for the turbo.
    4k is a good budget but to get things all custom fab'd up will probaly cost a bit more unless you can of othe work your self or know some one who can help you out.

a turbo timer you can get for like $50 so wounld worry about that and its not going to protect your engine just your turbo
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    actually if he does go boost it wont cost him that much for the manifold as i will be selling him my HKS 1 as i never used it and i have it just sitting around.

so it would be actually be just buying the dump