Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    07 Civic

Angry Help... got defected.

So i got defected today, fault stated on the notice "too low". i want to clear it asap.

my car is the current civic model and fitted with tanabe adjustable coilover.

now my question is, can i adjust the ride height back to stock with my aftermarket coilover or do i need to change back to the original stock sussy?

during the inspection are they going to check the whole car or just the defected area stated on the notice?

any help would be very much appreciated.
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury
    easiest would be to fit stock standard suspension.they may fault you on the damping as well. maybe try and borrow or rent one from a honda parts wrecker..

Member Array
    Car:
    Amuse S2000 AP1
    poor you.

better play safe to go to inspection because the cops might do something you were unexpected.
    wheel weights? HERE

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Clearing your defect

Quote Originally Posted by tkbuild View Post
    So i got defected today, fault stated on the notice "too low". i want to clear it asap.

now my question is, can i adjust the ride height back to stock with my aftermarket coilover or do i need to change back to the original stock sussy?

during the inspection are they going to check the whole car or just the defected area stated on the notice?

cheers
    To clear your defect, raise your suspension up as high as the Tanabe's will allow, then take your car to an AVIS (Authorised Vehicle Inspection Station), show the guy the 'canary' and he will clear it. You will pay a fee for the service.

Now having said that ...

1. You should be able to find an AVIS in your area - look for the sign. Better to go to someone you know rather than complete strangers. They may be more sympathetic.

2. Most aren't overly fussy as long as your car looks near standard, it's not their job to look at what suspension you have, just if the height looks OK. They don't have the time to look up measurements and then measure your car. It should be a visual inspection.

3. Pay the fee and take the paperwork to the RTA. They will take your money and clear it over the counter.

The first thing you should have realised is that its basically a money-making exercise - the RTA wins, the AVIS wins, the authorities add another statistic to their reports, and finally, as usual, you the motorist loses.

My tip: Drive safely and don't draw attention to yourself.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    ^ then drive your car back from NSW to Adelaide again and fit the standard parts on because here in SA you need to be either standard or have a full engineers certificate.

The rules are very grey here and you may get lucky, but generally coilovers are a no no and will not pass inspection. This is if you have been told to go to regency, but if you can take it to the cop shop then you will probably get away with just raising it up again.

Wish I was back in NSW, at least there it is easy to find out what you can and cant do. In Adelaide you can ring Regency (inspection place) and ask what is permissable and get different answers from different people! has happened to me twice.

The ADRs are regarded as a guide too and they often ignore them and just tell you to go standard.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by tkbuild View Post

cheers

this is crap man ur car is like brand new I wouldnt think theyd pick on you... I have an 89 crx dumped on its ass and cops never say shit lol

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Raise your height to legal limits. usually 100mm. Get it cleared then Leave it that way! and you wont have to worry
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX & CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    ^ then drive your car back from NSW to Adelaide again and fit the standard parts on because here in SA you need to be either standard or have a full engineers certificate.

The rules are very grey here and you may get lucky, but generally coilovers are a no no and will not pass inspection. This is if you have been told to go to regency, but if you can take it to the cop shop then you will probably get away with just raising it up again.

Wish I was back in NSW, at least there it is easy to find out what you can and cant do. In Adelaide you can ring Regency (inspection place) and ask what is permissable and get different answers from different people! has happened to me twice.

The ADRs are regarded as a guide too and they often ignore them and just tell you to go standard.
    Mooshie is correct, you will DEFINITELY have to put your stock sussy back on. I've been through regency twice and they check everything.....ALso make sure you dont have any other mods that have not been engineered. If you have an after-market exhaust they will also db test it.
    Good luck with it. Once you have passed you can put the coilovers back on but ring regency and find out what the lowest point you can lower it to and set it to that height. It's really not worth all the hassels and cost for a couple cm's IMO.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC4
    To get through regency in Adelaide with coilovers you will need an Engineers Certificate.

So definitely put standard suspension back in to get through. in regards to ride height you will need to ring them and find out as it is different for each model of car, they measure it from the centre of your wheel to the guard's edge. Also im pretty sure the lowest point of your car must be a minimum of 100mm from the ground.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by DC4; 01-11-2009 at 04:41 PM.

might be old but
    if its just a defect
    just raise it over 100mm
    thats it

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX & CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by [Ash CIVIC] View Post
    might be old but
    if its just a defect
    just raise it over 100mm
    thats it