Threaded View

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Doing the Job

Firstly, a word of warning!

This is a simple two hour job. CRAP!

This is not a simple conversion. I have been working on this for quite some time now, and in fact, I only started again yesterday after walking away from it some weeks ago. I've had to remove the dash as I had to pull the fuse box, and route the wires through the door jambs. Also, make sure you get a good write-up - most of the ones out there are rubbish (maybe that's why I'm doing this!!) and some use Civic EG door schematics when they are working on an Integra. The plugs are very different at the mirrors!

All the pieces: note the grey plug is the same as our green plug. Original three pin plugs on the right.

OK. Let's assume you have all the parts I mentioned in the my post above.

I started by removing my door mirrors (I won't show you how; I assume you know how to do this).

I disassembled the JDM mirrors and removed the motors. The JDM motors are a complete sealed unit whereas the Aus-spec unit is a small motor and a rather large spring (to enable you to push the mirror in manually).

You will also need to cut the harness to the mirror motor - it's the only way to completely disassemble it. So if you aren't very good at soldering then stop right here.

I installed the JDM motor into my mirrors and replaced the flat glass. You can remove the glass easily by folding one side out and putting your fingers behind and gently pulling. The glass is only held in place by three pivot points. Putting it back on is just as easy - gently push down and they "clip" back in place.

OK, so you're mirrors are physically ready. Now to wire them up.

Run the 5 pin wiring through the outer shell (each mirror consists of two parts - a metal base and a plastic covering shell) and then through the door opening. Re-install your mirrors. Strip each wire on both the mirror side and the plug side and rejoin all of them by soldering and covering with heat shrink. I prefer heat shrink to black electrical tape as it stays in place and doesn't become all sticky with age and unravel.

As I said above, my job was made easier by using the complete JDM door harness. It's exactly the same except for the 2 extra wires for the fold-in mirror. So I just replaced everything!

[I assume you removed the door pin to allow you to open the door(s) as wide as they will go. It makes it much easier.]

You should now be at the door jamb. This is where it gets fiddly.

On each side, in the cabin I took the two extra wires from the JDM plug, added a length of wire to each, put them into the respective slots on the Aus-spec harness and fed them into the cabin. So I plugged everything back in at the door.

You now need to solve the problem of attaching the power relay and connecting up the dash switch.

I mounted the power relay in pretty much the same position as where I found it. It sits behind the passenger kick panel.

I am going to join the two wires from each side to the relay, and then to the switch.

That's where I'm up to now.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 26-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    Still here. Still kickin'