Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2004 Model

Engine Trouble, Light throttle, no response

Info on the car:
    - Run on Premium for the majority of its life. V Power, and Ultimate.
    - Cold Air Intake (k+n)
    - 170,000kms
    - 2004 model

Problem:
    On October 31st (melb cup weekend) filled up with Shell V-Power empty to full. My first symptom something was wrong about 100km into the tank. it started to surge lightly when taking off. started to get worse and by sunday night i had driven about 300kms just over half a tank. i was worried and filled up with Ultimate.Started up and continued to do it. however it was more intermittant and was occasional, but when it surged and jerked it was more severe and then the Engine light came on with the VSA light as well.
    I checked the book it outlined that there is a problem with the Emission Controls System and if it persists or the light stays on i should go to the Honda Dealer. i turned the car off. turned it back on and it disappeared however was still jerky.

Because its out of warranty i took it to my mate who is a mechanic. He checked the car and said it sounds like dud fuel. He said the car is running ok and it sounds fine when running, and told me i should run the tank out. and if the light comes on and stays on i should bring it back or go to Honda.

It got progressively worse through the tank. However the light only came on once again???? so i continued driving reassuring myself it was the fuel.

i was keen to run the tank out quick as possible, on sat morning i filled up with Ultimate, i pulled out and took it for a half hour drive..... no improvement. and it was just about undriveable. i drove it home slowely and as best i could. however the engine light and VSA came on 3 more times, when this light comes on, all power is cut and the rev limiter lowers to 3500rpm, i had to pull over and wait a minute with the motor off and then it would start up and idle and sound fine again.

Tomorrow im going to try to drive it to my mechanic and have him look at it.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully its an easy fix, like a sensor or something in the cat.

if the issue is directly after a new fuel type then there is generally an issue with the fuel.
    I hope its not water or other deposits in the fuel ( like that was a big issue in Melb. a few months ago)

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2004 Model
    I have had a few Honda owners tell me to stay away from shell for that reason.... and that its not very good. although if its water it would be a consistent problem wouldnt it?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Sounds like a bad batch of fuel.You may have to get your tank drained and cleaned.Try changing your spark plugs.When were they last changed?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2004 Model
    Had it serviced 3 weeks ago. done about 1000kms since. and its had 2 tanks of fuel? 1 from Shell and Other from bp......?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochstar_69 View Post
    Had it serviced 3 weeks ago. done about 1000kms since. and its had 2 tanks of fuel? 1 from Shell and Other from bp......?
    What about your spark plugs,when you change them?I too have heard Shell fuel isn't the best as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2004 Model
    ummm not sure about the plugs, havent checked the book. i guess it would have been done at the 165,000? cos thats a major service isnt it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    hmm if i were you i would go back to the dealear and get it checked asap b4 u have to forked out big money just to b safe

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    You should get the code for the check engine light read. That is the 1st step before you do anything. Most decent mechanics have an OBDII reader to do that.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2004 Model
    Hey guys, had it checked out today,
    He checked it with his error reader. the code states its throttle where the fly by wire off the foot throttle, goes into this box (unsure of the name, was told it but i forgot) which controls the electronic throttle body on the intake? he showed me it, its up in the right corner, i think it also controls the Cruise control. He reset it again, but he said its going to come back, so its worth replacing, because its basically undriveable, unless your a hoon!
    it has a black cable going into it. He told me its a pricey fix and he ordered the part this afternoon so i hopefully have it back tomorrow night.

Im glad it wasn't water or anything real damaging.