Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD

98 B18C2 and 00 EK1

Hi all,

First of all I've done a search and did find a few threads about the B18C2 conversion on an EK1 but I'm just after some straight up answers so help me out if you can and thanks in advanced.

Never thought this could be part of my plans but a mate of a mate has recently wrecked a 98 DC2 B18C2 (150k kms) and I could get hold of the entire car for about $2k.

Everything in the engine bay is good besides the radiator which is no longer usable.

Questions:

1. I believe 2k is reasonably cheap considering a half-cut would cost approximately 4-5k? Is it worth it?
    2. I also understand that it's not legal to put a 98 engine into my 00 EK, is there absolutely no way around this? Is this law dependent on state or is it national?

I suppose if it is no way legal then I might have to give this a pass. If there's a way around this then I might seriously consider it and weight the time vs cost if I'm doing it with my mate or getting someone else to do it for me.

Thanks again!
    • FML •

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    you can put it in aslong as the emissions match/are suitable [there is a thread or two around me thinks]

also 2k for the whole car is a steal!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    the whole age thing dosent really matter, its all about emissions. people just use a ge as a guideline, eg. the older engine is likely to have worse emmisions.

its perfectl legal
    THAT SHIT WAS BANANAS

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOGUNOVDDRK View Post
    you can put it in aslong as the emissions match/are suitable [there is a thread or two around me thinks]

also 2k for the whole car is a steal!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by redefine View Post
    the whole age thing dosent really matter, its all about emissions. people just use a ge as a guideline, eg. the older engine is likely to have worse emmisions.

its perfectl legal
    Cheers for that information. Repped accordingly.

Where can I get accurate information about the gas emission from both engines?

Any other feedback/comments?
    Last edited by neo_phase; 09-11-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    • FML •

98 vtir engine in a 00 car is fine man, ive done it a few times already.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    IMO speak to an engineer, they will know this stuff or even rta site should have some further insight

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_phase View Post
    Hi all,

First of all I've done a search and did find a few threads about the B18C2 conversion on an EK1 but I'm just after some straight up answers so help me out if you can and thanks in advanced.

Never thought this could be part of my plans but a mate of a mate has recently wrecked a 98 DC2 B18C2 (150k kms) and I could get hold of the entire car for about $2k.

Everything in the engine bay is good besides the radiator which is no longer usable.

Questions:

1. I believe 2k is reasonably cheap considering a half-cut would cost approximately 4-5k? Is it worth it?

if i were you and i had the money, i would get it. seems like 2k is cheap.
      but if youre lucky some person have gotten a whole car for 1k.
      i've seen many on ozhonda for abt 3k.

2. I also understand that it's not legal to put a 98 engine into my 00 EK, is there absolutely no way around this? Is this law dependent on state or is it national?

im quite sure its state dependent. for vic, its not allowed.
      http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...light=emission

I suppose if it is no way legal then I might have to give this a pass. If there's a way around this then I might seriously consider it and weight the time vs cost if I'm doing it with my mate or getting someone else to do it for me.

Thanks again!
    my answer.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by neo_phase View Post

Thanks again!

The engine is legally allowed to be installed.

It is within +15% capacity , and shares the same emissions rules. IE OBD2a/b. 96-00 share the same emissions parts/sensors.

So , this engine CAN be installed without a hitch.
    Last edited by bennjamin; 09-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    call your local transport authority in your state they should give you a number with all your answers. also if you do this convo you will need to upgrade your brakes