Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

timing chain tensioner

hi guys, i need a Chain Tensioner.. dose toda make one?
    or im stuck with the oem one, i just got the timing chain tensioner replaced about 5000km ago now its starting to tick again
    thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    If installed correctly, the OEM should be fine for 100,000+ km. Issues can arise from poor installation. However it's not really a part that is difficult to install, so chances of screwing it up is pretty minimal. Getting an aftermarket part doesn't mean the problem is solved, if your guide is truely gone, something is causing it to prematurely wear. Find the cause, fix the problem.
    Are you sure it's the timing chain? As the noise is more of a rattle/slap than a ticking sound.
    Have you had your valve clearances done recently? They could need doing.
    Last edited by JAP-S2K; 09-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k
    i have been getting abit of a loud ticking noise recently aswell its not a slap its more of like a sound of really loud injectors do you know a place where i can get my valve clearances done?

ill have it checked out this week.. sorry but whats valve clearances ?
    im noob

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    our cars have adjustable tappets/rocker arms (thankgod!). These need to be checked/adjusted aprrox every 40,000km. Most good mechanics will be able to do these with ease. I'm guessing if your timing chain needed replacing, your valve clearances def need doing. Always a sign of a well used engine.

cars going inn on workshop on monday getting everything sorted out

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    I just ordered my 3rd tensioner - my last one went in 20,000km ago. Should I do the chain this time as well? I have 70,000km on the car now.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Shit man, third one in 70K. What oil you using??? Something has to be causing it to flog out. Could be a good idea to replace the chain.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JAP-S2K View Post
    Shit man, third one in 70K. What oil you using??? Something has to be causing it to flog out. Could be a good idea to replace the chain.
    OEM oil every 5000km.

First one got noisy about 2 weeks after a track day. I was wondering if the chain should be done. The tensioner is only $250.00 and the chain around $90.00 so might do both. My Honda dealer in Frankston said I am the only guy to ever order a chain in through his dealer.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSBND View Post
    OEM oil every 5000km.

First one got noisy about 2 weeks after a track day. I was wondering if the chain should be done. The tensioner is only $250.00 and the chain around $90.00 so might do both. My Honda dealer in Frankston said I am the only guy to ever order a chain in through his dealer.
    I reckon that you need to change the other parts of the tensioner such as the guide rails and not just the auto-tensioner itself.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    I reckon that you need to change the other parts of the tensioner such as the guide rails and not just the auto-tensioner itself.

I have thought about other parts associated with the tensioner. Might have to look into this. No point throwing tensioners in only to have them chewed out so quick.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    X2