Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Euro CL9

Question [CL9] Funny engine noise

Hi all

I'm having a little problem whenever I start my car up in the morning I get this weird sound like rusted metal scraping. I'm thinking it is one of the pulleys but I can't be certain.

After driving for a while the sound is still there but feint.
    Could it be the water pump?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Is your accessory belt slipping? Check the belt tensioner and see where the triangle is pointing in relation to the 2 squares. Just down to where the belt is in the engine bay with a flashlight and you should see it.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Is your accessory belt slipping? Check the belt tensioner and see where the triangle is pointing in relation to the 2 squares. Just down to where the belt is in the engine bay with a flashlight and you should see it.
    Could you post a pic for me if not too much trouble? I'm not sure where exactly it is.
    Also how do I tighten the tensioners?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_todai View Post
    Could you post a pic for me if not too much trouble? I'm not sure where exactly it is.
    Also how do I tighten the tensioners?
    If you look at your engine bay from standing in front of the car, look at the left side of the rocker cover and look straight down into that section where the belt is. In the pic below, the red part is the lower left side of the rocker cover (which is silver in your car).

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Euro CL9
    Thanks for that really appreciated. I will check that and if it is on the right hand big column, what needs replacing? the belt or the tensioner itself? or can just simply adjust it?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If it is pointing on the big column, that's fine. If it is on the small column, then your belt needs to be replaced. Also have a look at the underside of the belt using a flashlight to see if there is wear.

When you go to start your car tomorrow morning, open the bonnet first and get someone else to start the car so that you can listen to where the sound is coming from (if your car is a manual, make sure it is in neutral before it is started. Otherwise the car will knock you down).

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    If it is pointing on the big column, that's fine. If it is on the small column, then your belt needs to be replaced. Also have a look at the underside of the belt using a flashlight to see if there is wear.

When you go to start your car tomorrow morning, open the bonnet first and get someone else to start the car so that you can listen to where the sound is coming from (if your car is a manual, make sure it is in neutral before it is started. Otherwise the car will knock you down).
    I checked it and it seems to be exactly on the same position as in the picture you sent me. I also happened to find the sound is easily heard next to the front passenger wheel which may indicate that it is my transmission. I have a automatic transmission. I checked the transmission oil level and it was on the borderline of the minimum notch. I will top it up and see if the sound still exists. If it still exist then I may need to bring it to a mechanic to check it out.
    The noise is very noticeable on the right hand side of the engine.