Thread: Leak!!!

Leak!!!

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but I thought I'd consult with you veterans before I give my money to mechanics. I have a leak in my EK ferio civic. It used to be light, but now its gone a bit heavy. A friend it was something wrong around the gasket. A mechanic had a look...now I'm not too car savvy, but he mentioned that there was something loose in between the engine and the transmission. Some sort of rubber part, and that the leak was causing it to heat up and cool down, causing the rubber part to harden. The guy was charging me around $400 for everything...

Should I get it done? I'm fairly concerned as there is a susbtantial leak happening. Please let me know what you guys thing asap!!

Thanks!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly you haven't told us what is leaking. I'm assuming here that it is oil.

Secondly you need to tell us exactly where the leak is (perhaps some pictures) and then we can respond more appropriately.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    400 sounds about right. Might be main engine seal if its around gearbox?

I had to pay roughly 400-500 for a timing belt cover leak I think it was.. somewhere on the right side of the engine

Sounds like a rear main to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

that does sound like a rear main seal

mine was quite minor (never used to drip on floor) has since become alot worse and getting it done.

If possible and it is the rear main seal its best to hold off until your clutch needs a replacement as would save alot of money on labour or just do the clutch with this (if you wish to upgrade your clutch)
    Honda CRX ED-9
    =]

Yeah sorry guys...Very new to this. =D

Just to clarify that it is an oil leak happening just under the engine. Used to be light but is now getting heavier like a period. Should I pay the $400 to get it fixed? My friend was telling me teh exact same thing to just get it done when my clutch blows, but will leaving it as it is create any long term damage to the engine?

And if I were to leave it, would I need to top up my engine oil?

Thanks for the reply guys!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    If it is leaking oil then yes you should check your engine oil level. Can you get a picture for us of the leak location?

If it is the rear main seal then this requires taking the gearbox, clutch and flywheel off.

In that case you might as well change the clutch and release bearing (if it they are worn).

Yeah its definitely the rear main seal. Just checked with a mechanic. But I dont really want to pay $400 to get it all done. And I dont need to get the clutch replaced coz its still good. What should I do? Just let it leak and top it up now and again? Or would that ruin the engine...

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    try an engine stop leak(about $10) it should slow it down at least even if it doesnt fix the problem.
    & keep topping it up

It costs about that much to get the clutch done so if its the main seal maybe wait if you need to.

Just need to make sure the level is up
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    I drove on an oil leak fine for a couple of months. Was a heavy one.. oil would go dry after a week to 2 weeks.. and I bought it with the oil leak so dno how long it was driven on the leak before that, obviously seller sold it cuz the leak costed 600 to fix.. anyways.. just be careful of the oil level, check it every day or 2 days.. make sure doesnt fall below the first circle on your dipstick (the minimum level).. and should be fine for a month or 2

not saying this is great for your car, driveway or garage but lol

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by honda7x. View Post
    Yeah its definitely the rear main seal. Just checked with a mechanic. But I dont really want to pay $400 to get it all done. And I dont need to get the clutch replaced coz its still good. What should I do? Just let it leak and top it up now and again? Or would that ruin the engine...
    How much are you loosing? You could keep topping it up but it's only going to get worse. Only issue is that if it gets really bad you'll possibly have oil all over your flywheel and possibly clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    try an engine stop leak(about $10) it should slow it down at least even if it doesnt fix the problem.
    & keep topping it up

It costs about that much to get the clutch done so if its the main seal maybe wait if you need to.

Just need to make sure the level is up
    Try an stay away from additives. The additive is only masking the problem which you are going to fix eventually. The cheap fix in the short run could end up costing you more in the long run.