Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoss View Post
    Yes turning left for loosening..

I tried giving it a hit, and I am using 6 sided sockets.. it just wont budge! I dont think I have those star-grooved sockets, but Ill try using a ring spanner next

I do need to take off the bracket too if Im replacing my disc's aswell?.. in the DIY it says everything should come off I think.. Am I wrong?

Mocchi the bar I was using was short..Ill make a longer one then, the length of my arm and give it a go.

The main problem is the awkward angle.. the socket is like slipping off at an angle when I try and use both hands to loosen the bolt, because the fender guard is in the way of me really getting in there.. I slipped off once and fell on my ass.. on my tools.. wasnt very pleasant.. loud curse words were said that could of been herd down the street lol

Could someone confirm which bolt in the pic needs to come out for me to replace the rotors and pads?

thx
    Ring spanner won't be as good as a socket and breaker bar. Most ring spanners are also 12-points and not 6-point unless you have Snap On spanners. Are you using a normal ratchet or a long breaker bar?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpsi View Post
    Please see image. You will have to do the same for the other bolts on the other side of the caliper.

[IM G]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5153/25112009132.jpg[/ IMG]

Also to remove the rotor you may need to undo some screws at the front near your wheel studs.
    If the caliper bolts are seized, these screws are going to be a bitch to remove without ruining the head on them.

I use a ratchet/breaker bar with my jack handle over the ratchet handle to get leverage for some bolts.

Regarding the caliper ones, hammer trick is the best, get the ring end on there, hold it in position, give it a good wack or 2. Dont let the spanner slip off. You may not be able to use a large bar as you will have issues getting it in position to loosen it.

Use some CRC/WD40 etc, will help.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    If you mean the bolts holding the bracket on (as opposed to the longer, slider bolts), they might be tight but any torque wrench should do the job.
    Just wondering why you recommended a torque wrench. Normally you don't use a torque wrench but a good socket and breaker bar for really touch bolts.

Also try giving the actual bolt head a good hard hit to help loosen things up.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Ring spanner won't be as good as a socket and breaker bar. Most ring spanners are also 12-points and not 6-point unless you have Snap On spanners. Are you using a normal ratchet or a long breaker bar?
    What Aaron means is are you using something like this (#1) or this (#2). Hopefully #2
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Yeah im using no1.. its a cheap set from supercheap.. it fits on the bolt fine. I do find it stripping the bolt whenever I slip off.. Its so hard to wack it with a hammer and hold it there the same time, ill give it another go tomorrow

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    A big fat 70cm breaker bar or a 1ft breaker bar with the correct size socket is all u need, simple.

Once u buy that tool from burson's or auto 1.... Sidcrome one, undoing big bolts is a piece of cake guarantee. Invest in some bigger quality hand tools.

#1 rule with tools; never cheap out. u break your cheap shit and will replace it and round bolt heads as well.
    mugen無限power

^ x2
    Chunky = the first youngest ozhonda member ever

OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    What tool are we talking about here guys
    Last edited by Chriskoss; 25-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.

I've found the 12 point ring spanners to be a good fit for those bolts. A good hit with a mallet and they're easily free.

Don't be afraid to use force, just make sure your putting the force in the right place and with the correct size tool.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    1\2" drive for the win. You will end up breaking something if your using 3/8" or smaller - then that broken tool will proceed to go through your hand.

You get what you pay for, and the difference in good tools vs shit ones is very very noticeable. Bad tools usually stuff what your trying to remove/install.
    Honda Accord Euro

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    I've found the 12 point ring spanners to be a good fit for those bolts. A good hit with a mallet and they're easily free.

Don't be afraid to use force, just make sure your putting the force in the right place and with the correct size tool.
    Thats right.

A ring spanner will be easier to hold on the caliper bolt than a ratchet more than likely. Put the ring on the bolt, hold the ring spanner in position about halfway down the spanner (closer to the bolt head), or if possible, hold the ring over the bolt with your hand, give it a hit with a hammer/mallet.

chris , did you rotate the entire arm towards the correct side for hitting DOWN ? That is , the drivers side rotate the wheel to the RIGHT and the passenger side rotate to the LEFT.

Wiith this done , grab a single faceted ( 6 sided) socket and a ratchet or breaker bar , place it on a flat plane ( horizontal) and hold it onto the 17mm nut as firmly as possible. A few good wacks on the end of the ratchet/breaker bar with your palm or a rubber mallet should crack it.