Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Wd40 ?
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Also you can support the pivoting point of the breaker bar with a peice of wood/jack to stop it trying to slip off the head of the bolt. This will ensure all the force you put onto the head is perpendicular to the bolt.
    Honda Accord Euro

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985 View Post
    Thats right.

A ring spanner will be easier to hold on the caliper bolt than a ratchet more than likely. Put the ring on the bolt, hold the ring spanner in position about halfway down the spanner (closer to the bolt head), or if possible, hold the ring over the bolt with your hand, give it a hit with a hammer/mallet.
    Bolded for truth. Left hand holds the ring on the bolt and keeps the spanner from shooting off, right hand gives a powerful but controlled hit. I always use a metal mallet; rubber doesn't give the sharp impact that you need to crack these sorts of bolts. They're only a 12mm head and don't need the outright torque of a breaker bar, but if you've got the space, they make short work of any bolt.

WD40 helps a little bit but a real penetrating thread lubricant can really make a difference. Overkill for brake caliper bolts though IMO - just eat a few more weetbix for breakfast!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    where abouts r u? i'm willing to give it a go with a breaker bar & my socket set.
    If not i'll snap them off and we'll have to goto honda to get new ones. Only $2 a bolt
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    where abouts r u? i'm willing to give it a go with a breaker bar & my socket set.
    If not i'll snap them off and we'll have to goto honda to get new ones. Only $2 a bolt
    Im near chatswood, 25mins from livo

I tried what you all suggested.. hitting it with a ring spanner and hammer.. it just wont budge, I believe its just seized from the many many years of heating up and cooling down.. the pads wouldnt have been changed in over 5 years I think because the pads are like over the change pad marks lol..

Whenever I hit it, it just bounces back, and/or slips off, such a bitch!

What do I do now that I think the bolt is just purely seized on?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i'll just take it out for ya or i'll end up snapping it.
    I've snapped one before by tightening it too much. Its all good.

I have a good socket set which has snapped chassis bolts before

i'll see if i get a chance on Sunday if you haven't done it by then.
    PM me ur number
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoss View Post
    Im near chatswood, 25mins from livo

I tried what you all suggested.. hitting it with a ring spanner and hammer.. it just wont budge, I believe its just seized from the many many years of heating up and cooling down.. the pads wouldnt have been changed in over 5 years I think because the pads are like over the change pad marks lol..

Whenever I hit it, it just bounces back, and/or slips off, such a bitch!

What do I do now that I think the bolt is just purely seized on?
    i don't have much to add as all the advice given so far has been good. just want to say be very careful if it's slipping off the bolt head - every time your socket or ring spanner slips, it's rounding that head. round it completely and it'll be 100 times harder to get off!

perhaps you could invest in a brand name ring spanner of the appropriate size? they'll grip the head better. this recently did wonders for me when trying to get off a seized 14mm nut on a belt tensioner

just to add: you can also try something like freeze-and-release from loctite and soak the bolt in it for a few hours then try again. it's worked for me before
    and to add again: it's not normal for a 6 point socket to slip unless your angle is incorrect and you can't get the socket on properly (in which case you can't use the socket/rachet unless you can come up with a cunning system of extensions or CV joints that allows you to get the socket square onto the bolt. you'll never get a tight bolt off that with an improperly fitting socket!). if the socket is on squarely and it still slips, is your socket mangled? i know budget sockets often destroy themselves on high-torque bolts - try investing in a brand name socket in this case
    Last edited by lithium; 26-11-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Rattle gun and impact sockets?
    Honda Accord Euro

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Yeah I might use a rattle gun or impact drill. Will buy one when I get some spare dosh.. looks like the only other option

Member Array
    Car:
    Lawn mower
    Are you hitting it with a rubber mallet or a hammer? I find working with a good spanner and big rubber mallet alot nicer to crack bolts rather then a hammer... If that doesn't work a good rattle gun it is.. Good luck

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    ^^ Yeah, hammer for some reason just causes the spanner to bounce back. A rubber mallet is much better.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    but seriously... I just think a quality socket and a quality 1ft + breaker bar will do the job heck u wont even need wd40. Just turn the wheel to one side for easier access. I guess if you have no tools then u would attempt with a spanner and mullet, but ffs go buy a breaker bar man, makes life 1000x easier.
    mugen無限power