Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Quote Originally Posted by tunacnt View Post
    lol went to get a rwc last month and was told that any hid that isn't stock with the car is not legal. imo 6000k is best choice
    That's right, unless a car has been designed with a self levelling system and projectors/headlight washers, as well as having passed the specific Australian Design Rules, then it is illegal and you can be done for them.

Alot of cops overlook HID's if they're a sensible 4300/6000k and not too noticeably blue/bright, so alot of people get away with HID's but you have to remember that it is always possible you'll get that one cop having a really bad day.

Member Array
    Car:
    AU XR8 220
    why is it that some people say that higher kelvin hid are brighter?
    and then there is always someone who says "it's a colour scale, it doesnt effect brightness"

it's simple...the kelvin scale (colour) and the lumin scales (brightness) are different, this is true, but one does effect the other to a degree.
    different coloured light is brighter than others.
    if you look at the 2 graphs for lumin and kelvin they actually have an intersect point, this point is the brightest colour.
    this is about 4300k....pure white.
    any higher or lower on the kelvin scale will take you away from this point, thus making the light duller.
    eg:
    3000k (yellow) is duller than 4300k (white)
    6000k (blue/white) is duller than 4300k (white)

does this make sense?
    compared to halogen globes, hid colour temps like 8000k are still brighter purely on the fact that they are a brighter globe type...but compared to a 4300k or even a 6000k they are not as bright.

with 12000k they would produce shitloads less light than a regular stock halogen globe. 30000k, you may aswell stick your mobile phone out the window and try to drive by the light thrown by that...it would be brighter.
    Hallowed Are The Ori

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by geeang View Post
    Why would you automatically assume they came out of China?
    lol, sensible companies who manufacture hids don't make anything that high as they know it's stupid and pointless

you know why sportscar companies don't use them in their cars at that level, as it's as useful as tit's on a bull
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    iv got 6000k and they are very well suited to my driving and headlights....evan though i have stock eg civic reflector headlights they do not blind on coming traffic and are super crisp white
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by xclusive_eg8 View Post
    iv got 6000k and they are very well suited to my driving and headlights....evan though i have stock eg civic reflector headlights they do not blind on coming traffic and are super crisp white
    Have you driven another car with your own car passing you in the opposite direction?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    what a crock of shit, hids are the gayiest thing out unless you have a car that came stock with them

they do blind anything coming and above 4 stories tall at the very least, you're running an unguided beam of very bright light, if I had it my way there'd be tow away defections in place for the use of them, followed with a court appearance and pits inspections. The tonka boys with their 10 spotties on on the highway have nothing on the young blokes with hids in terms of annoyance

I love J-Cups

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM EP.TREE
    agreed. i think that all standard halogen globes see better/further at night and all hids are just for bling. but meh, you can't deny they look good

Member Array
    Car:
    AU XR8 220
    Quote Originally Posted by tunacnt View Post
    agreed. i think that all standard halogen globes see better/further at night and all hids are just for bling. but meh, you can't deny they look good
    hid in reflectors simply dont distribute the light correctly...they are more for looks. they are brighter (mostly) but the housing isnt designed for them so they dont throw the light out in a properly usable way.
    projectors with hid on the other hand are shitloads better than standard halogen.
    i have driven my car in country areas (used to live in central vic) with halogen in standard reflectors, hid in standard reflectors and hid in projectors. projectors distribute the light so well that i very rarely used my highbeams. didnt really need to.

in a city/built up area, light distribution doesnt really mean much...its more about the looks (which i love the look of hid) but reflectors are also an issue due to the light distributing incorrectly and causing glare/blinding people.
    i have posted these photos before and here they are again...

hid in reflectors: (the light is scattering everywhere...hitting a 3rd story window!)

hid in projectors: (nice crisp cutoff...no blinding other motorists potentially causing accidents) [MINE]

see the difference?

but...this thread is degenerating.
    its about the colour.
    please, dont go anything over 8000k MAX. over that you are just asking for cops to arserape you and if you ever have to go into rural areas you wont be able to see jack shit.
    even that is not the best, but 8000k colour looks so purdy. :P

fyi...i ran 8000k myself for a few months in my projectors and went back to 6000k cause they just didnt produce enough light for my liking.
    Hallowed Are The Ori

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    N/A is best
    ^^ HID doctor lol good work man. Im just sick of the typical 8000K and 6000K. i might test the 12000K for a few days and see how it goes. if i dont like it ill just change the bulb to 8000K.
    No Comment

Member Array
    Car:
    AU XR8 220
    i did lots of reseach on them before i got them over 2 years ago.

oh...and fyi...i am still on my original 2 year old hid kit and it is a $80 (inc shipping) chinese made ebay purchase and its still going strong.
    so dont knock chinese hid kits...damn good value in my eyes.
    Hallowed Are The Ori

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    If you don't get ethier, pulled over or shouted at in the first day or so, I'd be very surprised, be responsible

I love J-Cups

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM EP.TREE
    just a quick query: is the difference between 4300k and 6000k dramatic or very minimal. im running 6000k at the moment and im quite happy with them but if 4300k are 'better' i may think of switching