Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I need to know if anyone has researched this one:

Are engine mounts REQUIRED when purchasing a header? I've heard you at least need inserts or you risk cracking your header from engine movement/fouling on the sway bar. Does getting an EP3 sway fix this or should you still get inserts at least?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Im not sure dude. But my car was owned by a 60 yo grandmother before i purchased it.. and after two months of driving. i had to replace the front engine mount 9 loving the extended warranty).... im gonna get innovative mounts sometime in 2010.

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Lol your car has engine mounts already. That's what holds the engine to the chassis. I think you meant solid mounts? No they aren't required. Your exhaust will have a flex/donut join to allow slight movement. You'll need an aftermarket or EP3 swaybar to clear the aftermarket headers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinyo View Post
    I'm also planning to buy a rear sway bar for my DC5R and i got a few questions;
    1.) What brands should i look for?
    2.) How much would it set me back?
    3.) Where can i purchase it? If you could point me to the right direction...
    4.) What sort of changes/improvements should i expect once i get it installed (In terms of control, ride comfort going down the drain?, stiffnes, etc)
    5.) I was also gonna buy a Beaks tie bar, would it have the same effect? Was thinking its one or the other...or both?

Need some pro advice bro
    i should mention i don't have a DC5R - the sway bar was installed on my Barina SRi. therefore disclaimer: my advice is hardly pro advice or even specific to your car that said i can try to answer your questions based on what i've done

1) Whiteline is the big name in Australia
    2) you'll have to find out but usually they aren't more than about $300 for the kit
    3) http://www.whiteline.com.au/. or if you feel uncomfortable ordering online you can ask your nearest repco/supercrap to order it in for you
    4) ride comfort does deteriorate but it's quite acceptable - mostly you'll feel the bumps come through more, especially when you go over one-rear-wheel bumps (as the swaybar reduces independence between the two sides of your suspension). in terms of improvement i felt:
    a) less body roll
    b) the car will feel less 'front heavy' in corners (it won't want to lean on it's front outside wheel as much when turning, it seems to want to lean on both outside wheels instead)
    c) the car doesn't want to understeer as quickly
    d) as there is less body roll, both the front wheels remain in contact with the ground in a corner, so it's easier to put the power down coming hard out of a corner
    if you get an adjustable rear bar you can even choose your balance between comfort and awesomeness

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    sounds sweeet.. i'll prolyl invest in front and rear sway bars soon then.

Quote Originally Posted by 02gzm View Post
    Lol your car has engine mounts already. That's what holds the engine to the chassis. I think you meant solid mounts? No they aren't required. Your exhaust will have a flex/donut join to allow slight movement. You'll need an aftermarket or EP3 swaybar to clear the aftermarket headers too.
    Yeah no shit mate. I assume that most know what I mean when I say "mounts" considering everyone on here is an expert.... but anyway.

I think I'll still end up with inserts, but it's good to know I don't need them. Tah.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    [QUOTE=lithium;2575179]i should mention i don't have a DC5R - the sway bar was installed on my Barina SRi. therefore disclaimer: my advice is hardly pro advice or even specific to your car that said i can try to answer your questions based on what i've done

1) Whiteline is the big name in Australia
    2) you'll have to find out but usually they aren't more than about $300 for the kit
    3) http://www.whiteline.com.au/. or if you feel uncomfortable ordering online you can ask your nearest repco/supercrap to order it in for you
    4) ride comfort does deteriorate but it's quite acceptable - mostly you'll feel the bumps come through more, especially when you go over one-rear-wheel bumps (as the swaybar reduces independence between the two sides of your suspension). in terms of improvement i felt:
    a) less body roll
    b) the car will feel less 'front heavy' in corners (it won't want to lean on it's front outside wheel as much when turning, it seems to want to lean on both outside wheels instead)
    c) the car doesn't want to understeer as quickly
    d) as there is less body roll, both the front wheels remain in contact with the ground in a corner, so it's easier to put the power down coming hard out of a corner
    if you get an adjustable rear bar you can even choose your balance between comfort and awesomeness [/QUOTE

Thank brother

Ne one here with first hand experience (DC5R) can point me to the right direction on which rear sway bar i should look into? Worth getting a BEAKS tie bar instead?

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Yeah no shit mate. I assume that most know what I mean when I say "mounts" considering everyone on here is an expert.... but anyway.

I think I'll still end up with inserts, but it's good to know I don't need them. Tah.
    Calm down cranky pants. Wtf is with people being so angry today.

Polyurethane inserts are a good cheaper alternative to solid mounts for a street car. An even cheaper alternative is filling them with Sikaflex. But they'll need good preparation and some time to dry.

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    worth getting a BEAKS tie bar instead?

Straight up answer - No.

Not worth the price. Not worth the installation hassle. Felt no difference to the car.

If you have money to burn, then buy it for the bling.

Last edited by Lucas; 04-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by burak213 View Post
    Straight up answer - No.

Not worth the price. Not worth the installation hassle. Felt no difference to the car.

If you have money to burn, then buy it for the bling.
    Thought so..rear sway bar it is

Last edited by Lucas; 04-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    DC5S for sale !