Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Member Array
    Car:
    Waiting on ride
    My mechanic friend had this issue and I told him to change the oil and add the Honda additive and problem has gone away in two of his relatives Jazz'z. But the shudder was really bad and my guess he was just lucky.

We changed oil together and one of the vehicle had the CVT oil burnt like no tomorrow and other one was better but caused same problem. Fixed it and been OK for last 8 months.

Funny is Honda admit to the problem RE: BULLETIN but have not admitted it to be their fault as this has been proved by their sticking to BULLETIN ISSUE rather than a RECALL ISSUE.

ALL ABOUT THE GREEN
    SOHC just kicked in YO!

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    yeh im pretty sure they used substandard or the wrong oil, during one of the services from when my parents owned the jazz.

but even still honda australia wont cover the repair (in my case) despite the log books showing countless drains and flushes

Member Array
    Car:
    Waiting on ride
    That is some bullshit right there.

Honestly, they should be covering it and there is no excuse not too. It is a wide spread problem :/
    SOHC just kicked in YO!

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    Hi guys,

After some advice for my wife's 2005 VTi Jazz (104k)

Its going through the shudder, we did a double flush of the transmission about 10k ago with Honda. It helped for a little while, but the shudder returned.

Have just been back to Honda who have said the transmission fluid is ok, but that we need to replace the start clutch ($1.5k quote).

Has anyone else replaced the start clutch? And what price should I expect to pay for this kind of work?

(Im in the northern suburbs of melb and would appreciate if anyone could recommend a workshop that has done this before)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI auto

Honda jazz Clutch Judder

Be aware that when you change the battery YOU WILL LOSE the settings of the engine and the CTV gearbox if you DON'T keep the power up to the system.
    My Honda dealer says that when the battery goes flat the settings are lost anyway. But I's told that the first time you can'e start the car because there is not enough grunt in the battery there is still enough power to maintain the settings. To stop losing the settings completely you either have to provide an external source of power through the cigarette lighter with the ignition turned fully on, or by jumper leads from the new battery before you take the terminals off the old battery. Be careful not to have the jumper leads fall off the battery leads on the car otherwise you've lost the settings. If you do lose the settings take the car straight to a Honda dealer to have them reset before any damage is done. drive the car carefully, no hard acceleration.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI auto

Honda Jazz Clutch Judder

Be aware that when you change the battery YOU WILL LOSE the settings of the engine and the CTV gearbox if you DON'T keep the power up to the system.
    My Honda dealer says that when the battery goes flat the settings are lost anyway. But I'm told that the first time you cant start the car because there is not enough grunt in the battery there is still enough power to maintain the settings. To stop losing the settings completely you either have to provide an external source of power through the cigarette lighter with the ignition turned fully on, or by jumper leads from the new battery before you take the terminals off the old battery. Be careful not to have the jumper leads fall off the battery leads on the car otherwise you've lost the settings. If you do lose the settings take the car straight to a Honda dealer to have them reset before any damage is done. drive the car carefully, no hard acceleration.
    Yes it does cost $1,500 to replace the clutch.
    Middy

I've been told (and practice) a "relearn" procedure for this exact situation. Correct me if wrong team.

You simply do the entire servicing as per normal- once the car is "reset" you will drive lightly to warm up. Once warm , find a quiet street and accelerate to 50-60km/h then back off and let the car glide to almost a stop. Repeat this several times and it's all good.

Personally done this on my own jazz twice and several customers cars , with no issue.

But pleas , if this is not the thing to do speak up !

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I've posted this a few times already. WHAT ELSE TO TRY WHEN CVT JERKS YOU AROUND.

What benny says is the easier way, will 99% of times work. Very rarely you would have to recalibrate the CVT (major major changes to drive-line required).

But according to the manual, you turn the car on with no load(just engine on nothing else lights/sound system/etc etc) let the car idle to warm up till radiator fan noise kicks in. Then accelerate to 60 and let go till she comes to a stop. Might need a few times, but it will work.

For the people getting Shudder and blaming Honda for it, if YOU look after the CVT she will be fine. 105,000 on my 01 Model CVT not a single issue. Always change fluids every 15-20k with Genwin Honda Goodness.

Also double change is not enough.... you need to flush her like 5 times! Since you have done it twice already. On the next engine oil change, change the CVT again and see how you before you fork out 1.5k for repairs also FYI thats 30% of the cars value.

The manual box's go for next to nothing at wreckers and they take abuse very well.

If I were you, I'd carefully think about ur next step. 1.5k just for repairs is hefty for a car that only worth 5k according to insurance. Mask the issue and selll off or trade her in for the GE!
    Last edited by amant02; 21-06-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz gli cvt

Wink Well< just changing the oil fixed mine!

My wife has a 2006 GLI CVT with 95,000k. The shudder in ours developed over a couple of years and nearly got to the 'bad' stage. We had the family arguments, my wife (who's often right) insisted that the shudder was getting much worse every time she got in the car, and me insisting that it was about the same. A really steep hill start gave a 'bad' shudder though. After reading a lot of forums I decided to give an oil change a try, rather than fork out for the start clutch. I got my oil from Hi-Tec Oils in Sydney. It's labelled HONDA CVT fluid and I got 2off 4L containers. Local mechanic changed the oil without any flush. There was a slight shudder for a few weeks or so but after 'she who must be obeyed' drove to Cains and back it's back to new. That was about 2 years ago now and there is no sign of any shudder, even with very hard acceleration or steep hill starts. I was a bit dubious about using the Hi-Tec oil at first but now I think it might even be more suitable for the CVT than the HONDA stuff? I bought 8L of the oil at the time thinking that I might have to change the oil twice the get right result, but it cured the shudder with one change and now the other 4L is kicking around in my garage. Cost? About $40!

Can the fluid be brought in melb ? I'm using the genuine honda brand and still continuous to shudder

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz gli cvt
    I got this info off the web. Hope the oil solves your problem.

Victoria
    Hi-Tec Oil Traders Pty Ltd (Vic)
    1 Venture Drive, Sunshine West, VIC 3020
    Ph: (03) 9314 2524
    Fax: (03) 9314 2676
    Last edited by Willsie; 22-06-2014 at 10:34 PM.